Wireless power development

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/MIT-Makes-Breakthrough-in-WiTricity-13608.htm?utm_source=outbrain_recirc&obref=obnetwork

Light a 60W bulb from 2 meters, how far away can I run an AVR and some leds?

When two objects vibrate at the same frequency, the pair makes for a strong couple that can effectively transfer energy.

The research team was able to light the 60-watt bulb from one coil to the other coil two meters (6.56 feet) away. The first trial experiment of WiTricity had a 40 percent efficiency rate, explained Karalis. That is, 40 percent of the power from the first coil made it to the light bulb, leaving 60 percent of energy absorbed by the wire.

Looking at the coils, I am sure the efficiency can be increased. But even now, depending on the source I think of this vs batteries that have to be recycled or end up in a toxic landfill that this may be a better long-term solution.

While the numbers may sound low, Karalis explained that a laptop, a common household electronic, only produces 70 percent efficiency and that most people would not need to power it from more than a meter away.

:grin: I am green with envy! I wonder how efficient or not it is at 60 cycles? I can get that easily!

Have a look at Nikola Teslas tower in New York, he was trying to supply power to the world .

His other ideas were brilliant though.

From all I've seen, he had a deep intuitive understanding of electricity and may have been able to tap what the solar wind pours onto Earth's magnetosphere. Morgan couldn't have that, couldn't have people getting electric power without paying Him or someone like him.
Check out the squat that old J.P. was up to back then, the Company Towns and Company Stores and wages set to keep people working in lifetime debt, because we're just about there again now.
Learn from history or repeat it, a bit less than half this country can't remember last year when Fox and propaganda radio tells them not to.

couldn't have people getting electric power without paying Him or someone like him.

I have often wondered about the stories of people inventing a cheaper / greener car battery in the last 100 years, only to sell it to a big battery maker, to have the patent shoved into a filing cabinet as being too expensive to tool up.......

And now we have celphones lasting weeks on new battery technologies. OK the quiescent current is better, but the talk time is also a lot better.

We have devices that use a -lot- less power now too, and not just flashlights!

One program I saw on fractals explained how cell phones got fractal antennae, you can get better reception than with a long straight wire using maybe a longer total pattern. Doesn't better antenna means less need to amplify?