Arduino and the Lowe's Iris Smart Switch.

I got the Lowe's Iris smart switch to work with an Arduino. Now I can remotely control an appliance and watch it's power usage. It's like having a tweet-a-watt without the Tweet, and being able to turn it on and off.

I put the code I worked up and a diatribe on how ridiculously hard it was to interface with this device on my blog at:

The code only supports one of these devices, so if you want to scatter them around the house, barn, orchard, you'll have to do some changin', but it's really cool to be able to actually watch the power usage of a refrigerator over a day, or how much power that toaster actually uses.

Have fun.

Nice work figuring it out - Greek and Sanskrit eh?

Do you have plans for what you'll attach it to?

Nice work figuring it out - Greek and Sanskrit eh?

Do you have plans for what you'll attach it to?

Well, when I first looked at the various documents, they appeared Greek, but after a while they definitely started looking more ancient. I was well on my way to cuneiform before I got it working.

I plan on moving it around the house. First the refrigerator to see how much it actually uses. Then the freezer. It'd be nice to check a few other things over time. The remote control portion is going to get used on various lights that I keep forgetting to turn off. Nowadays with CFL and LED lights, it's not as important as it used to be, but still, it's a bit embarrassing to have a light on during the day.