My 3x3x3 and 5x5x5 LED cube

I use an inexpensive Extech (extech 330) meter that seems to work really well. You don't need to go overboard with an expensive Fluke meter.

WonderTiger:
You're absolutely right with the statement you made. However I think a good meter will be a good investment though(for my study and other projects in the near future) even if it isnt really meaningful for these kinds of projects yet.

I agree mostly about good test equipment being a near lifetime investment that will pay good dividends for a long long time. After working for decades in the electronics industry I found that fluke meters and tektronix scopes were all I ever wanted to own for personal use.

But the point is that arduino beginners should be encouraged that their first purchase to make after their arduino board is a DMM, well before obtaining any other components and/or modules for their various projects. So the $10 DMMs serve a good purpose in at least getting them started on the right path. Many young people starting out just can't yet afford the investment costs of say a Fluke meter, but can swing for a $10 DMM which is much better then no DMM at all which all too many appear to have.

Lefty

We just got my son a $19 extech meter, sprung for a little extra because this one also came with a thermocouple probe.

CrossRoads:
We just got my son a $19 extech meter, sprung for a little extra because this one also came with a thermocouple probe.

Cool, and if he misbehaves tell him you will use that probe to take his temperature the 'old fashion way'. :wink:

Lefty

We got him a $119 Weller soldering station too, so I think he'll behave. Off to college in the fall...

CrossRoads:
We got him a $119 Weller soldering station too, so I think he'll behave. Off to college in the fall...

What, no pocket protector? What will the other nerds think of him?

Lefty

Going to RPI, whole schoolful of engineers. Kids are too cool for pocket protectors these days.

Been a while I posted something here. Last weeks I was very busy with school (we are developing a weighing scale). However I managed to make a very easy animation for my cube :), enjoy:

Edit: see my universal library: Universal SR driven 4x4x4 to 8x8x8 LED cube library (included 5x5x5 schematics) - LEDs and Multiplexing - Arduino Forum

Hey Mike!

Nice video :slight_smile:

I've recently built a similar 4x4x4 cube. I'm having some trouble with ghosting on the cube (it seems that the cathodes are not turning off quickly enough). The way it manifests is that when I turn on a pair of a new anode plane and a new cathode column, the LED which at the intersection of the new plane and the old column, lights up for a brief moment. This results in ghosting. It is most likely a hardware problem, but I want to make sure that it's not a software problem. Have you had any kind of similar ghosting problem? Would it be possible for me to see your code, maybe I'll get some insights about what I might be doing wrong...

Thanks,
Andras

I have not seen 'ghosting'on my cube. However if I light up 1 layer, the layer above the lit one will shine very dim. But this is due the light goes through the bottom of the LEDs.

Yes, I have the shine-through effect too, but that's not a big problem and there's not much you can do about it anyway. Thank you for the code! :slight_smile: I will check it.

this is the proper link in case its not working ;):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5jzjoelre7b6h4g/t-_ULpv3Oq/DesignV1.ino

Edit: Notice in this code all the animationDelay times are 100milliseconds. In the video I showed they aren't.

I have noticed that you use shiftOut() instead of the SPI library that I use. Theoretically the SPI library's methods are faster, but I'll try out shiftOut() too, who knows, maybe it makes a difference...

Yes SPI transfer is faster, however this code is version 1, so I will have a look at it to let it perform better in the near future :).

Maybe I'm going to create an array generator for the animations as well.

Well I couldnt wait and modified the code to SPI.transfer. Still no problems with ghosting...

link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5jzjoelre7b6h4g/xAy4sVeAhI/LED_CUBE.ino

Edit: Still the code I'm using is not a good way to program the cube. After a while u will run out of memory and the cube is going to do strange things. Even now I'm using PROGMEM its not working. Is it possible that you can post your code as well??

I have built a few cubes, and I dont think that I have noticed any ghosting. Do you have any videos of the ghosting?
My first cube only lit on LED at a time, I modified it to use shift registers and it lights 16 LEDs at a time. I havnt noticed any ghosting, but maybe its happening, and I just didnt notice?

Hi Guys!

@Hippynerd: If your cube would have ghosting like mine, you would notice it, trust me :slight_smile: It is very visible and... annoying. Unfortunately I can't create a video as my camera is broken and even for my last video I had to borrow one (I really should get one...), but I can describe it the following way: when multiplexing is used, the ghosting is seen as the previously multiplexed (lit) layer turning off too slowly, so basically you see a ghost image (dim image) of the current layer in the previously lit layer. So, if you light up an LED in the bottom layer, you'll see the LED which is in the same column and in the top layer (bottom layer is lit after the top layer because the layers come after each other from bottom to top) dimly lit. If you light an LED in the second layer, you'll see the LED below it dimly lit. For the third layer the ghost will be in the second layer and so on.

@WonderTiger: Sure, you can check out my code here: http://iqjar.com/download/jar/LED_Cube/4x4x4/LEDQB_v0.4.ZIP
I've taken a slightly different approach. My animations are all generated on the fly, no patterns are stored anywhere. I also put great emphasis into keeping every part of the code in the place where it logically belongs, so I have lots of files and classes. So far it worked out well, we'll see how well it will work with the 8x8x8 cube... The part that writes the data out to the cube is in QBWriter.cpp, in the function QBWriter::sendOutputBuffer(). You'll see there that in the first step I shift all 0s into all the shift registers and then, if there's any non-zero data to be displayed, I first wait for 75 milliseconds (delayMicroseconds (TurnOffLatency); //Wait for everything to turn off). this is a software fix to get rid of the ghosting. I'd like a hardware fix though :frowning:

void QBWriter::sendOutputBuffer () const
{
    //To get around the ghosting introduced by the slow turning off of the cathode columns, we first turn everything off and wait a little
    digitalWrite (PIN_SS, LOW); //Start transferring data    
    for (byte i = 0; i  <= N; ++i)
    {
        SPI.transfer (B00000000);
    }
    digitalWrite (PIN_SS, HIGH); //Done transferring data

if (isOutputDataNonZero ())
    {
        delayMicroseconds (TurnOffLatency); //Wait for everything to turn off

//Then we push out the contents of the output buffer to the LED cube    
        digitalWrite (PIN_SS, LOW); //Start transferring data
        for (byte i = 0; i  <= N; ++i)
        {
            SPI.transfer (mOutputBuffer[i]);
        }
        digitalWrite (PIN_SS, HIGH); //Done transferring data
    }
}

Hi, Hey Wonder Tiger do you have a schematic or building instructions for you 5x5x5 LED Cube? If so could you post it?

Actually I don't have any schematics or instructions really :(. If you really need help I can make some instructions though, but a search on google maybe gives you more information?

Its long time ago I made a vid. This is due I was very busy with school ( i had to make a Graphical User Interface for a little project, which was a good learning experience!). Last week I finally had some time to rewrite a code for my LED cube, now I'm using a Interrupt service routine to multiplex my cube and I'm able to adjust the brightness of the LEDs which results in this :):