Go Down

Topic: arduino crash due to Serial and String... (Read 144 times) previous topic - next topic

aq_mishu

Today at 09:48 am Last Edit: Today at 09:55 am by aq_mishu
Guys,

There is a post i made here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=517314.new#new which is like the same seeemed to me at here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=302843.0

Now, here is my entire code in attachment.

Now, I'm not that good in programming.. but as said symptoms are identical and thus I think it's either a SRAM issue  or something else. Coz  when I keep the serial reading by a terminal, it runs forever nearly... but if not, just powered up and running, then the game starts... hangs after few hours...

Yes!! RAM i haven't found changed but how?? coz i was taking the serial readings via terminal at all...

If it is due to SRAM and Strings... then I need your kind assistance to convert it to c_str()

I'm ore comfortable with String as you have seen in my codes... Thus how can we move forward??

aq_mishu

One note just incase I forgot... The hardware runs well... Ethernet shield and SPI driven and there is not issues  there... confirmed... the ONLY issue is it hangs after some time like the URL I gave, the same symptom. Also, earlier I used a blink LEd type thing for another disco light project (relay driven on/off) and there wa also serial output in code but it was running standalone... So Hope you now understands what I want to point...

Robin2

It is not a good idea to use the String (capital S) class on an Arduino as it can cause memory corruption in the small memory on an Arduino. Just use cstrings - char arrays terminated with 0.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

aq_mishu

It is not a good idea to use the String (capital S) class on an Arduino as it can cause memory corruption in the small memory on an Arduino. Just use cstrings - char arrays terminated with 0.

...R
Ya I know... that's what I came to know lately.. but as I'm more  of a String guy, I need kind assistance on how to convert them to what you said... I'm not saying rewriting the code for me... just one statement I need from experts as a sample...

In another of my project, I used String and then used
Code: [Select]
String datai2c = "MCS01";
  Wire.beginTransmission(displayI2CID); // transmit to device #8
  Wire.write(datai2c.c_str());    // sends five bytes
  Wire.endTransmission();
  datai2c = "";

for  a i2c transmission. That's where upto my level of skill... But also as I need many
str_rx = Serial.readStringUntil("\n"); for the purpose self explanatory, I need a solution alternative of such... Any help???

Robin2

It looks to me like you already have half of your answer in this code
String datai2c = "MCS01";
  Wire.write(datai2c.c_str());    // sends five bytes
  Wire.endTransmission();
  datai2c = "";

I think this will work
char datai2c[] = "MCS01";
  Wire.write(datai2c);
  Wire.endTransmission();
  datai2c[0] = 0;

However I would recommend defining all your cstrings as global (at the top of your program) so you know exactly how much memory they need - especially if you are using a lot of text.

You can also use the F macro to store fixed pieces of text in PROGMEM so that they don't use up SRAM memory.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

aq_mishu

Is it possible to write and make use of something like this?

void setup() {
  pinMode(hwSS, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(buzzer, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(readerLED, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(systemLED, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(logicSource, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(debugEnable, INPUT);
  digitalWrite(logicSource, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(buzzer, LOW);
  digitalWrite(readerLED, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(systemLED, HIGH);
  delay(100);
  digitalWrite(buzzer, HIGH);
  rebootTimer = EEPROM.read(REBOOT_OFFSET) * 3600000;
  keepAliveTimer = EEPROM.read(KEEPALIVE_OFFSET) * 60000;

if(debugEnable == HIGH) {
    #define DEBUG
  }

#ifdef DEBUG
   #define DEBUG_PRINT(x)     Serial.print (x)
   #define DEBUG_PRINTDEC(x)     Serial.print (x, DEC)
   #define DEBUG_PRINTHEX(x, HEX)  Serial.print (x, HEX)
   #define DEBUG_PRINTLN(x)  Serial.println (x)
  #else
   #define DEBUG_PRINT(x)
   #define DEBUG_PRINTDEC(x)
   #define DEBUG_PRINTHEX(x, HEX)
   #define DEBUG_PRINTLN(x)
  #endif

// Open serial communications and wait for port to open:
  Serial.begin(9600);
  splashScreen();
  Serial.println();
  Serial.println(F("Type 'conf t' in 4 seconds to enter config mode\n"));
  smartDelayPrompt(4000);
  //Config the system
  if (str_rx == "conf t") {
    str_rx = "";
    configMode();
  }
  wdt_enable(WDTO_8S);
  wiegandInit();
  Serial.println();
  // start the Ethernet connection:
  if (inetInit()){
    Serial.println(F("Ethernet is up and ready with the config:"));
    showNetConfig ();
    keepAlive();
    digitalWrite(readerLED, LOW);
    digitalWrite(systemLED, LOW);
  } else {Serial.println(F("Ethernet failed to be ready."));soft_reset(3000);}

}

I have given the entire code here. The motivation is: I wish to keep an enable jumper, pin11 will be source and pin 12 will be a input_pullup. This way all I want to is manipulate the jumper use such a way, a if pin11 sends 0 then pin 12 will read LOW and thus will disable the debug. If we remove the jumper (as jumper removal will be ONLY for debug purpose), pin12 will see HI and will enable the debug process.

aq_mishu

You can also use the F macro to store fixed pieces of text in PROGMEM so that they don't use up SRAM memory.

...R
That part is now a standard practice for me...  :)

And how about reading?? As i do read a lot of String...

Robin2

I have given the entire code here.
Not as far as I can see.

And how about reading?? As i do read a lot of String...
Have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

...R

aq_mishu

Today at 04:38 pm Last Edit: Today at 04:48 pm by aq_mishu
Not as far as I can see.
Nope... the attachment has the entire code (yes, not the libraries... but do we need them??)

Plus what about the "#define issue base on if clause via debug enable port??

Robin2

Nope... the attachment has the entire code
Reply #5 (which I quoted from) has no attachment.

Please post the latest version of your complete program in your next Reply.

...R

Go Up