Arduino Yun stuck in "uploading".

I would most defenitly think this could be a power issue. Power it from a powered charger and not USB

Hello, thanks for your reply. I'd like to be able to upload via USB, so I can't power it externally. I could add +5v to VIN/GND so I'll see if I can find a spare adaptor and try it, although the documentation recommends powering via USB if possible.

This just seems really strange. I have nothing connected to the Yun that would suck its power away...

It's still stuck on 'Uploading...' and force quitting the IDE is the only way to get out of it. I can't restart the Arduino IDE until I have rebooted (which usually requires a hard, hold power button in until it turns off, reset.)

It has completely stopped me building anything.

I've been in situations like that and it can be pretty frustrating :slight_smile:

Have you tried a powered USB hub ? That way you can get more voltage on the USB and still
be able to use it as upload source.

The Yun still behaves as a WiFi access point, so wifi is enabled and sucks allot of power. (i think)

There was some issue with Mavericks and the 32u4 board, I think it was fixed a few days ago, can you try the nightly build here ?

I too am having issues with sketch upload hanging on "Uploading..." Upgraded from 1.5.7 to 2.0 and solved problem for about the first 3 uploads, then started hanging again. 1.5.7 would also cause my Macbook Air to crash (running Mavericks).

Did you upgraded the Arduino IDE? If yes, where did you get the 2.0 version? :slight_smile:

Angelo9999:
Did you upgraded the Arduino IDE? If yes, where did you get the 2.0 version? :slight_smile:

Good question, if one considers that the latest version is 1.5.8.... :grin:

Ok... so 2.0 was obviously not correct. I had a second instance of Arduino on my mac and the name was "Arduino 2" as in Copy 2. My bad... 1.5.8 is correct.

Try the following to resolve the "stuck at uploading..." problem.
-Check console window was closed prior to uploading
-Finally, reboot everything including wifi on arduino, IDE, and computer.

I was having this problem with upload hanging, I switched to Wifi Login and then the upload worked. However the sketch Sensors_Test provided this feed back: (See Attachment, yes annoying, been up awake too long) I will have to study more regarding "Bridge" as I don't know what implication it has on sketches. This example did not call the "Bridge Library" Is it now a requirement?

This problem has nothing to do with power. Tried 5v in.

I have found an other interesting fact. I am able to upload sketches that have no serial feedback, like "Blink" (again this upload is only via Wifi port as the serial ports on my Macbood are not working I am getting the same hangup during upload.)

Via the Wifi blink up loads and functions.
If I upload a sketch that requires serial feedback such as the sensors_test sketch the failure to connect x 4 tries and the Bridge message occur.

So it seems the Wifi port is a one way connection. The will no doubt be a lot of scoffers at this which I am willing to accept as I admittedly have not read everything there is to know about Yun, Bridge libraries etc

If you are using the WiFi connection you have to use the Console library instead of the Serial one.

The Serial library send the output through the USB communication while the Console uses the WiFi connection.

Thanks, I have a new problem now my Wifi quit. I can't seem to get it to ID itself to my Mac. Back to the Start up guide.

Loonhaunt:
I have a new problem now my Wifi quit.

Don't forget that you also have the wired Ethernet connection. Using it, you can always get to the web interface and SSH regardless of what the WiFi is doing. It can make WiFi setup and debugging much easier.

My 32u4 side of the the Yun is not communicating with my Mac. In discussion at the Adafruit site I have had this interaction: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65414&p=332980#p332980 . I am reluctant to put too much more time in to this board and project as I have spent far too much already. There are much more robust and well tested means of communication with the internet than this example. I will come back to this if I ever have more time or hear of any contribution from Arduino.

To recover the Atmega bootloader you can upload the sketch through WiFi. This process restores the bootloader because it reflash the entire Atmega memory.

If your Yun does not boot properly try to power it on keeping the Atmega reset button pressed for 5 seconds and then wait if the board boots.

Here is a way to upload a sketch from the Yun OpenWRT command line, if you can still access that.

Copy your sketch .hex to /root using scp (or some other mechanism)

Then ssh to the OpenWRT installation on the linux side and execute

cd /root

cp .hex /tmp/sketch.hex

merge-sketch-with-bootloader.lua /tmp/sketch.hex

run-avrdude /tmp/sketch.hex

This will update the Arduino side without using the web interface. I have found this method to be more reliable than using the web interface or IDE to upload sketches

I tried uploading " YunDiskSpaceExpander sketch " via WiFi and run Serial Monitor, but I get this "Unable to connect: is the sketch using the bridge? ". I found some suggestion that I should use USB serial, but then I encounter the "Arduino Yun stuck in "Uploading" via USB serial".

What should I do now?

Try to upload the sketch via WiFi and then select the COM port instead of the IP and open the serial monitor. Do you have any response from the sketch?

Anyway if you are not running the latest version of the Linino image, please upgrade it.