Wiring SparkFun's latest "Basic FTDI Breakout board" to a breadboard

I'm contemplating buying one of these to program an ATmega328 on a breadboard.

Since I couldn't find a wiring diagram (anyone have a diagram?) I'm wondering if I can just wire it up like this gentleman did:

The part that confuses me is that the Limina.Log page I linked to above used what I think is an earlier revision of the board.

SparkFun writes this about the newest revision: "The major difference with this board is that it brings out the DTR pin as opposed to the RTS pin of the FTDI cable. The DTR pin allows an Arduino target to auto-reset when a new Sketch is downloaded. This is a really nice feature to have and allows a sketch to be downloaded without having to hit the reset button. This board will auto reset any Arduino board that has the reset pin brought out to a 6-pin connector."

I just want to be certain I know how to wire it up before I buy it.

Thanks,
Jake

Look at a schematic for the Uno and connect that breakout like the FTDI chip in the schematic.

Yes, basically. You should connect the DTR line to the reset line (with the added capacitor) and the FTDI's TX to the Arduino's RX and the FTDI's RX (pin 0) to the Arduino's TX (pin 1), no resistors needed.

The ICSP header is not what you want to connect the FTDI breakout board to. Further, an Uno does not have an FTDI chip. Here is a post I did that should help, see the schematic. The picture shows Adafruit's equivalent breakout board (FTDI Friend + extras [v1.0] : ID 284 : $14.75 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits) but the Sparkfun part is interchangeable: Adventures in Arduinoland: The Evil Arduino

Thanks Jack. I'm reading them now.

If you are a newbie like me and have been trying to make sense of FTDI, ICSP, Bootloaders, AVR dude, target boards, programmers, fuses and more, I suggest you read through this tutorial at AdaFruit:

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/index.html

The tutorial helped me make sense of the terminology and how the various parts interact.

Its a "semi standard" 6 pin interface (or at least it used to be pre Uno).

The RBBB uses the same pinout. Modern device do their own version : http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/bub_ii

http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/rbbb-kit

Exactly how its wired :

Thanks Pluggy.

That RBBB is very cool!

Theres still a lot of mileage in 'old school' Arduino.........

It lost something when the Uno came along IMO.

BlueJakester:
SparkFun writes this about the newest revision: "The major difference with this board is that it brings out the DTR pin as opposed to the RTS pin of the FTDI cable. The DTR pin allows an Arduino target to auto-reset when a new Sketch is downloaded. This is a really nice feature to have and allows a sketch to be downloaded without having to hit the reset button. This board will auto reset any Arduino board that has the reset pin brought out to a 6-pin connector."

The difference they mention is compared to the FTDI cable.
There is no difference between this board and older Basic FTDI breakout boards from Sparkfun. The guide you have found is valid.
I made an example for the previous version a while ago: Breadboard Arduinos and Sparkfun’s FTDI Basic Breakout – perhof
My version of the board is a bit more similar to the current one than the oldest one. It has the same pin-out, just a different connector.

Thanks Perhof. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Jake

I've been using this module from Mouser.
Same FTDI chip, all the same pins available, lower cost.
MIKROE-483

No messing with soldering the FTDI chip.

BlueJakester:
If you are a newbie like me and have been trying to make sense of FTDI, ICSP, Bootloaders, AVR dude, target boards, programmers, fuses and more, I suggest you read through this tutorial at AdaFruit:

AVR Tutorial

The tutorial helped me make sense of the terminology and how the various parts interact.

Thanks for that!