Creating a wifi MIDI network

Midi wifi

My Macbook can establish a wifi midi network with my ipad2 and send/receive midi data from the ipad to the computer. There is also a program called rtpMIDI that lets you create this MIDI networkfrom a wondows pc. I am trying to figure out if its possible to create this wifi midi link without a computer, using a wifi module like roving networks for example. I'm almost certain the Mac is the host, so the roving networks would need to mimic a "midi wifi host"? If I could do this, then I could make any kind of musically instrument with an Arduino that creates midi commands, and sends them via wifi to an iOS device. Right now, my homemade instruments have to resort to sending the midi commands through the dock connector of the iOS device, with third party hardware, but a wireless midi connection would great! I know the ipad supports midi over wifi, I just don't know if its possible to create this network with a standalone module like roving networks makes. I'll sure appritiate hearing from anyone who is familiar with a wifi midi network.
Attached are photos of some musical instrents I've made.
Thanks!

Still hoping for ideas on creating a midi wifi network.

I know this is a very old post but I'm working on the same thing right now. I need to record midi over 50' away and commercial solutions are above $300 range. I assume you abandoned the project but just incase you found a solution would you mind posting it? I'm trying to use dual esp8266 modules to accomplish this.

I recommend you to take a look at the following Wikipedia page : RTP-MIDI - Wikipedia
There is a section dedicated to Arduino in it.

Simply said, you have two possibilities to build a RTP-MIDI network around the Arduino:

The second solution is more expensive, but it frees completely the Arduino from the protocol handling, memory rquirements, etc... The RTP-MIDI OEM board also acts as a buffer between RTP-MIDI world and Arduino scripts, so you have more freedom for coding. You can even run a complete RTP-MIDI node on a UNO with that.

There is an application coming for the OEM board, explaining in details how to integrate the board in Arduino world (with examples on UNO, DUE and Galileo)