Hp stream 11

I was wondering if the Hp stream 11 would be suitable for downloading the arduino ide and programming the arduino uno. It has 2 gb of ram and an Intel celeron processor. I have tried searching for an answer but all of the answers are for different types of programming like javascript and not arduino.

Thank you.

It looks like a regular PC. It has 2 USB ports.

Why do think it might not work the same as any other PC?

...R

I thought it might not work the same because some people say the celeron proccessor is not very good and 2gb of ram is not enough. Would I also be able to program attiny chips and pic microcontrollers with it?

Thanks.

Jeez, they must be trying to sell you stuff.

I suspect a PC from 20 years ago would be perfectly good enough.

The PC I am using to type this has a 1.6GHz cpu and 1.5GB of RAM. I have the latest version of Firefox running and Arduino IDE 1.5.6 and as far as I can see that (plus the operating system) is just using about 0.7GB of RAM.

...R

davidcleary17:
I thought it might not work the same because some people say the celeron proccessor is not very good and 2gb of ram is not enough.

Those people need to get some perspective; I'd imagine that sooner or later they will. They'll be older, and remember when a personal computer only had 8 cores @ 4 GHz with 32 GB of RAM, and they could do anything with it. Someone will come along and ask "can I display this hologram properly with only 512K qu-bit quantum processor and 24 PB of memory? Somebody says that's too little..."

My first computer only ran at 890 KHz and had 16 KB of RAM - and a cassette tape for storage (you may or may not know what those are). In other words, it was woefully inadequate compared to an Arduino...but the worlds and things I explored and learned with it can't be easily explained.

davidcleary17:
Would I also be able to program attiny chips and pic microcontrollers with it?

Here's another perspective for you:

Back around 1998 or so I worked for a company that had a few web servers. These machines, IIRC, used dual Pentium II (slot-based) CPUs running at 450 MHz, with 64 or 128 MB of RAM - hard drives were SCSI 9GB drives - several in a RAID-5 array.

You could definitely program microcontrollers with such a setup - trust me.

A dual-core Celeron running at 2+ GHz, with 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB eMMC storage (plus 1 TB cloud storage) - yeah, there ain't going to be any problem there.

Oh - one last old-fogey moment. That first machine I had as a kid - that machine cost much more than this laptop (around $300.00 IIRC) - and that was in 1984 dollars (about $700 today). For graphics, I had 8 colors available on my television screen. But that was only in "low-res" mode. Higher resolution modes only offered 2 to 4 colors. The highest resolution mode? 256 x 192 pixels.

Think about that for a bit. Here we are, 30 years later - and you can buy what is arguably a "throwaway" laptop (!) that is more powerful than many supercomputers were 30 years ago (for certain problem sets, of course). Indeed - a common smartphone - a device you can carry in your pocket - has crazy amounts of capabilities (I would also argue that most of those capabilities are wasted or untapped - but that isn't their purpose).

I really can't convey to you just how much the world has changed in the past 30 years when it comes to personal computing; in one way, it's fantabulously awesome - in others, its a disappointment. In still others, I see hope (mainly here in the "hobbyist embedded devices" market).

I guess in time you'll understand yourself. Hopefully, I'll live long enough to share some of that advanced tech with you...

Good luck with your studies and hobby. :smiley:

Thanks a lot for the replies, I think I will get the laptop soon enough.