USC Partnership: Looking for someone with knowledge of Arduino and Processing

Are you interested in being part of a Provost funded Thesis project? Do you need to build your resume with research experience?

My name is Mariana Aguilar and I am a junior at USC. I am working on my Institute for Multimedia Honors Thesis Project. In this endeavor, I am studying the effect of space on survey taking by comparing spatial surveys with paper surveys. I have designed the layout, developed the survey and started planning the installation event. However, I am looking for a partner who can help me build the technology.
I need someone with experience coding Arduino to read data from an RFID reader. Also, this person must know how to connect Arduino with an Xbee shield and antennae so that it can broadcast the information read from the RFID to a computer. I also need someone who knows how to write a program in Processing to analyze the collected data.

$100 Compensation

If you are interested please send me an e-mail at IamMarianaAguilar@gmail.com

I need someone with experience coding Arduino to read data from an RFID reader.

There are a wide variety of RFID readers available. The code for reading each is slightly different. Defining specifically which RFID reader you have might be useful.

Also, this person must know how to connect Arduino with an Xbee shield and antennae

Shields only fit one way. The XBee is symmetrical left to right, so it could be inserted incorrectly, I guess. However, it is not symmetric top to bottom, and there is generally a silk-screened diagram that shows the correct orientation of the XBee on the shield. This is, in my opinion, a pretty lame criteria for selecting a software developer.

I also need someone who knows how to write a program in Processing to analyze the collected data.

Reading the serial data in Processing is pretty easy. What needs to be done with that data is not defined, so estimating the complexity of the job, and the time required to develop the application is not possible.

Saying something about the time frame for when you need the code completed would be needed, to. If you need it by the end of August, that is one thing. If you need it by Friday, that is something else entirely.

So, you have described a project with one Arduino, an RFID reader, 2 XBees, and related hardware. How will this be used to conduct a survey? Will there be RFID tags attached to objects? You wave the one you like by the reader?

Are you interested in being part of a Provost funded Thesis project?

The project sounds interesting.

Do you need to build your resume with research experience?

No, not really.