Modifying LPD8806 code for WS2801 (yet another LED hula hoop thread)

So here's the folder for the rewritten pde files for the ws2801 strips to work for the hula hoop project. I'm stuck on the issue that the lights won't turn off when sleep mode is triggered. from what i can see the lines of code are the same as the original jubilee.pde file. so i assume the ws2801 isn't reading (0,0,0) as off. i've tried putting a delay right before sleep thinking that the off command wasn't being sent to the ws2801 chip before going into sleep but that didn't seem to work( at least for me). i mean it kind did what it was suppose to.... i get a delay before going into sleep mode but the light still don't turn off.
Another thing i thought of was well the power for the light strips goes straight to 5v. so it does make sense that when the aduino pro mini board goes into sleep that the lights would stay on since they have constant power.

so i guess the big question here is do i have programming issue or a wiring issue and how can i go about fixing this.

Many thanks in advanced and once the sleep mode issue is figured out i'll load this onto github for all to use

PS. Just to clarify the aduino board does go into sleep mode when the "power" ("sleep") button is pushed
Just not the lights

jubtest2.rar (23.8 KB)