Iphone control program over network: someone interested?

Dear Arduino forum members,

for the last couple of weeks I have been into Iphone application development and i cant stop being amazed of the fun it is of having this sleek device in your hand controlling some lamp and what not via the rich Arduino environment combined with Xcode and the Iphone.

I'd now like to build a smart and simple Iphone application that let's the user control his home applicants over the internet with some basic features. To start i'd like to implement the following:

-Sending http 'GET' data over network like http://[arduinoip]/?[hash]

• Basic authentication by passing some hash from the Arduino to the Iphone (as seen above)
    -Some flipstate features that allow the user to, for example, turn a light on or off
    -Some timer features that allow the user to, for example, let a lamp burn for 10 minutes.
    -Some onetime-command features that allow the user to, again for example, send a 'go' signal to the garagedoor.
    -Logging of, for example, a PIR-sensor and other readouts.
    -Users can make custom labels for different buttons/switches/whatever.
    -Detecting if the iphone is in the same network as the target arduino (for security purposes)

And maybe even more. The problem really is, is that i cant find data on how many people actually own an arduino (or are interested into buying one) and having a an iphone application to control it via network.

Do you guys think that such application has a ground in the appstore? (Even if there are only 50 people interested i'd like to do it)
I'm not really interested in the money, it's just that i don't want to waste time for the fun of 1 or 2 people.

thanks in advance,
greets from Holland.

I've controlled my webcam below using the web browser in a friends Iphone. Had to use the spread finger thing to enlarge the page so the pan/tilt options could be individually touched. I think her phone was connected to a hot spot near the bar.

http://web.comporium.net/~shb/wc2000-PT-script.htm

He!

Im very interested in this idea!

Atm im building up a TV-slide - you can hide your TV behind a wooden Wall - and there are a lot of other effect like LEDs to light the scene.. hide the center-speaker by lifting it up and down and so on.

I thought about a little wireless keypad but using my iphone to controle would be MUCH cooler - a stunning idea!

I was planning to buy a arduino uno to combine it with relais-boards that can be controlled over simple IR.

What I question myself is: do i need a running PC with "processing" in the background? i rly want a stand-alone system.. no USB connected.. just the arduino with a wifi module or something linke that. Is that possible?

greetings from sunny berlin

@Ru3en That is exactly the idea behind it! Just grab an arduino with ethernetshield/ wifishield and hook it up to internet, thats all there is to it. You could use it for your garagedoors/lamps/security/whatever.

@everyone Does someone know of a good way to retreive the IP adress of the client connected to the Arduino? Right now the arduino is just counting up the request per minute and delaying for 2 hours when bruteforce alike activities are detected, but this way the system is easy to take down. When i can program the arduino to check for blacklisted/whitelisted ip adresses the authentication will be much more secure, but isnt this way the system vulnerable to dos-attacks?

regards

I've been developing something similar, but with an Android. I've seen 1 or 2 apps on here that people have created but they don't seem to be updated much, and they don't leave much room for development.

I can't say for certain how you can retrieve the IP info, but I don't think that would work because your IP is likely to change a lot on the mobile network. I can see blacklisting, but that might take a lot of work. To keep mine secure, I don't forward ports and keep the Arduino access to the local network. If I'm away, I just log into my home VPN and access the device from that.

hello, it good to have great idear that keep the brain ticking over, good on you.

I have had a few people ask how they can open or close windows or blinds, turn on/off lights, turn of a heater or air conditioner etc,

But i am not a apple person.

That sounds like a great idea.

Count me in. I just ordered the hardware for a garage door controller (actually just an etherten and relays)

Doesn't something like,

IP address = <%=Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")%>

Get the address of the pc browsing the web page ? You'd have to post that to some server side script that would sort out it it's allowed or not. I haven't done much web stuff with Arduino so not sure how you'd go about server side stuff. If it is only protection from the WAN you are interested in could you not put the protection on your router and only let certain IP's get mapped to the right LAN address?

I'm interested too, I will follow you on this topic :smiley: !!!

Bye,

Fab.

I'm interested too, i use arduino with web page but app for iphone for control all home its awesome.

If u want i can transtale to Spanish/Catalonian.

Have you all tried TouchOSC | hexler.net?

If you switch to android devices, I'll post source code for my APP and you can use it :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it possible to use JSON request with IOS?

Because if so... it'd be pretty simple to use with arduino w/ a webshield... or you can just make it where it's a website and use the browser... all web device compatible?

I'm interested in iphone app with posibility of make the envoirment with the same app without use PC.

The easy form is make an app with buttons options and in the button write manually the comand for send "GET" or other commands for example: http://192.168.10.254/?cmd=C (i use this simple config for send commands to relays or another aplications for home automation but for iphone i dont know an app for make this)

I think it's easy and dont need libraries for use it and only need Arduino with one ETH shield.

comeollas:
I'm interested in iphone app with posibility of make the envoirment with the same app without use PC.

The easy form is make an app with buttons options and in the button write manually the comand for send "GET" or other commands for example: http://192.168.10.254/?cmd=C (i use this simple config for send commands to relays or another aplications for home automation but for iphone i dont know an app for make this)

I think it's easy and dont need libraries for use it and only need Arduino with one ETH shield.

This is an easy way to do it, but you'll run out of memory if you try to make it too complex, so be warned.

Using HTML get, you will definitely run out of memory before you run out of pins and sensors.
I tried that method with my computer on the browser, and no matter how simple and clean I made it, I still have trouble when it get a little elaborate. I think I had six buttons, two temperature sensor, and two relays. Ohh and X10 for home automation.

I suggest going to a Arduino Mega if you're going to do a lot of coding for the extra storage space. And pins.... if you need them.

I'm starting to take up iOS programming for another app... once I figure out how it work. I'll try to cross-implement my already in place arduino codes to work with it... that way I'll have android app and iPhone app.

If you ever get started, please post your findings and implementation :slight_smile:

Yer look I am in the process of building something along the lines of what your talking about myself. I am a software engineer, been working with Microsoft tools for years and just recently crossed over to the apple platform. While it is early days yet, I am quite confident I can make it work, my plan is to build a door opener with the iPhone. My plan is to use the Arduino connected to a PC on my WiFi to talk to the iPhone and give it the commands to open the door. Communication to the Arduino is pretty straight forward, I'm going to use Apple's Bonjour protocol to talk with the iPhone and the Server. My Server is just a Win XP box which has a few other functions around the house, but I think I will build a client that can run on the Apple Mac machine too.
I was also thinking for future expansion I could build in PIR detection, so you would be notified when someone approached the door, and a Camera interface so you could see the person at the door on the iPhone and then hit a button to allow entry.
If your interested in something like this too, drop me a message maccaoz@yahoo.com and I will let you know how it goes!

I would be keen on a hand-held wireless serial console for the arduino.

comeollas:

This is exactly what TouchOSC does, except that it sends OSC ( supported via a lib for arduino ). OSC is like MIDI.
With TouchOSC you have also an application to draw your UI graphically and then send it to your iDevice.

sounds cool!!

at the moment i'm using the app of http://arduinocontrol.mheeres.com/
so it's possible to control 8 outputs ( on/off) and read all analog inputs.

but i like to have something similar i can customize like; rename the outputs, control pwm outputs,...