Itead, Members with Experience...

Constantin:
I too worry about the iMall transition. Not sure why it was needed, what it fixed. I have an order in production now, let's see what happens.

They've been going through that "transition" since I started ordering PCBs from them many, many months ago and there's never been any issue on my end. I wouldn't worry.

I order from OSH Park and Itead on the same day within an hour of each other.

I received my Boards from OSH Park over a week ago and still waiting on Itead.

The last 2 batches of boards from OSH Park though have silkscreen missing. No idea why some of the screen is missing, no overlapping, or touching anywhere. I have emailed Laen a few days ago and haven't heard anything from him, so I will be using Itead from now on if the boards are correct.

imall has been working for me, with at least 3 orders completed recently.

codlink:
The last 2 batches of boards from OSH Park though have silkscreen missing. No idea why some of the screen is missing, no overlapping, or touching anywhere. I have emailed Laen a few days ago and haven't heard anything from him, so I will be using Itead from now on if the boards are correct.

I wonder, did you verify with one of the gerber viewers out there that your board is rendering correctly? For example, iTead only prints the tNames and bNames layer, whereas I like to print the values of the parts next to them... so I have to manually explode the parts, delete the identifier, and then re-do the value to be part of the tName layer. I find the online gerber viewer pretty good.

Yes, I have verified it with viewers. OSHPark has it's own viewer as well.

Really, the silk doesn't bother me as much as someone not returning emails. I am a firm believer of customer service. If they don't want to bother with helping someone, than I don't bother using their service.

All I asked Laen was why is only some of the silk wasn't printed. I am still new with PCB Fab and designing and figured it was something stupid that I did wrong or didn't do at all.

Before Eagle I used Fritzing, I never had any trouble with OSH Park's boards. Was making me wonder what I was doing differently.

But, like I said the silk that is missing is no big deal because they are for me to use anyway, so no one else will see them.

FWIW, I had a order with OSH Park turn out great, another order vanished. Since Laen never contacted me, I never got to pay and hence the board was never produced. When I brought it up at a later time, he apologized and told me that he'd come up with a better order documentation system that wasn't as prone to fail silently.

But, given the limitations of the fab that Laen uses, I prefer iTead - smaller vias, tighter allowances. Boards that can be made by iTead have to be redesigned for Dorkbot. The dark purple color is cool, the gold surface coating is a nice touch, but ultimately, most of us are primarily after getting their boards turned quickly and hence a consistent process is a big plus.

OSH Park has one of the best file uploader I have used. Very easy to upload and view the board, plus each layer individually.

I did contact him on twitter and he did respond, so hopefully we can solve this issue. I really like OSH Park's boards and quality. Plus it seems like he's getting boards processed quicker. Prolly cause he's got the customers to fill panels faster.

Came upon this thread while searching on more info about iTead.
I just placed order with them last week, but never got confirmation e-mail so I emailed them right away with gerber files. Sunny replied that he got them, so I thought everything is ok, until I just got Invoice e-mail from iTead. Their online system doesn't show that I placed any order, I hope it's just a glitch...
BTW, my experience with OSH Park was great, from submitting design to getting notifications when it was sent to the fab. Turnaround time varies, but quality of PCB was amazing. If they only can be as competitive with prices as iTead I would stick with them :slight_smile:

I just received another batch of screw sheild PCBs from Itead that I had ordered over the New Years break.
Received e-mail with order #, sent in my files.
Received e-mail indicating factory had accepted the Gerber files
Received e-mail with tracking #.

Boards look as nice as ever. Wendy/Sunny continue to receive my backing.

Im thinking of using Seeed next...

(still more non-sense from iTead)..

placed over Chinese New Year as well..

I tried to check out that itsopway.com ... but they dont seem very clear...

on prices... (I dont have a lot of experience in this either to be fair).. on what pcb's (type) I need to order.. do they do color?...etc

Only drawback on Seed is the color pcbs is $5 more than iTead.. :frowning:

Wendy, Sunny, John , Alex and a few others.. outside of the generic order/info emails.. have all gave myself the same run-around/non-sense.

I had the same problem with Itead not sending email updates. But, after about a week, I emailed them and a couple of days later they sent me the tracking number. Got the PCBs a week later. Itead has very good prices, but I still don't have the confidence in them to send all my PCBs to them. Still use OSH Park for the smaller boards.

Id liek to try that sitopway.com place...

heard good things.. and heard good prices.. just wish thir site was a bit more user friendly.. on how they want things done.. rules/requirements..etc

just like iTead (and Seed) does!!... (but not iTead) LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

Submitted my design with Seeed on 2/22. They marked it shipped on 2/28. Received in the mail 3/15.

Just received my iTead boards! Very happy how they came out, no problems soldering them!
Not worse than OSH Park actually. It took total of 12 business days from submitting to receiving (in US).
For some strange reason I didn't get any silkscreen on the back of the board. I had text there on bNames layer. Anyone knows what could be an issue? I generated Gerber files form Eagle 6.3

Did you make sure that your CAM file had that layer highlighted when you generated the Gerbers? I did that once..

codlink:
Did you make sure that your CAM file had that layer highlighted when you generated the Gerbers? I did that once..

I think so.. I just checked Gerber files (that I sent to iTead) with Viewplot (Gerber viewer) and bottom text is there... Weird. Gotta ask iTead support about it...

codlink:

Fwiw, if you use Eagle, iteadstudio is nice enough to publish a DRU File to ensure that your design is good to go, as well as a CAM processor file to ensure that the proper layers are printed/processed. Now if only eagle was easier to use (I find the cam process completely backwards, for example).

After 'printing' your Gerber files, the online Gerber viewer will let you see exactly what will be transmitted to the pcb fabrication house.

Constantin:
Fwiw, if you use Eagle, iteadstudio is nice enough to publish a DRU File to ensure that your design is good to go, as well as a CAM processor file to ensure that the proper layers are printed/processed. Now if only eagle was easier to use (I find the cam process completely backwards, for example).

After 'printing' your Gerber files, the online Gerber viewer will let you see exactly what will be transmitted to the pcb fabrication house.

I've used their cam processor, but I didn't see online Gerber viewer on their site. Do you have URL?

bratan:
I've used their cam processor, but I didn't see online Gerber viewer on their site. Do you have URL?

Hi Bratan, I use the online Gerber-Viewer. I am sure there are others, but so far, the results I saw on this web site have yet to deviate from what I eventually got from itead/iMall or OSH Park.

I use the free viewer at viewplot.com. Will open all 13 files that the itead .cam file makes.