Tacit Modification for Blind Friend

Hackmodford:
I'm not exactly sure how to do this. I'm more of a software guy than hardware...

Can you provide a link to the transistor and diode I would need? And also a schematic I can follow?

(edit: I suppose the schematic provided for the solenoid is what you're referring too? So would I just use the regulated 5V line off of the arduino (that is powering the ping) to also power the motor? And then use a data line to go to the transistor? If so what transistor and diode do I need?)

Depends on the current requirement of the vibration motor you are using. Most are very small motors so powering them from the arduino 5v pin should be fine. Note that some vibration motors are rated at 3.3vdc max and might end life early if operated at 5 volts. The size of the transistor again depends on the current draw of the motor, the one shown in the solenoid drawing is probably an overkill but it would work. A simple and common 1N4001 diode is fine.

I am using the Arduino Pro Mini 5V.

I've never used that board, just check what it's maximum rated current draw from the 5volt is to see if it matches what your ping and motor require together.

So far the project has been a real success!

Thanks for all your help.

(edit2: Going from this site arduino | AK Eric the author claims that the motors only draw 20ma. My pins can provide 40ma each so I should be good. Also I just realized that only 6 of the 14 pins can be used for PWM and I got lucky and picked #3 for the motor :smiley: Since the motor should be fine I don't need the transistor but should I use anything else?)