Intererest in tacoma area arduino club

Yea, Cutters Point is right smack dab in the middle of all our locations so I think that it is a great place for at-least this first meeting.

So, what do you think of this Saturday, Cutters Point at like 10:30-11:00ish?

I'm in.

Random stuff to consider this week:

What are you working on?
What parts tools do you need to find or borrow?
What kind of extra parts and tools do you have laying around that might help someone else's project along?
Do you need help with anything (hardware layout, fab or sketches)?
Project ideas.
How strong are you in Processing?
Any local resources that you've stumbled across that you want to share.

I am in too for the Cutters Point meeting.

Hi, Rob and Jeff, sorry I didn't see your postings asking about what parts my Auduino helicopter needs.
Actually I have no clue yet for the substitutes because I have limited hardware knowledge although I programmed embedded for a couple of years (other guys handled the hardware part and setup coding environment for me).

I can help with the control, power supply and input devices but you're going to have to stop by Fantasy Wold for inspration on the motors, props and motor control.

I'm thinking about building a cheap version to see if I can get it to work. My mental parts list for a non GPS driven proof of concept that just hovers would be:

$4 worth of regualr DC motors on PWM channels with cheap Hitachi controllers,
already have Dorkboard w/ 3 to 5 volt boost(this will let me run the acellerometer and board on two AAA batts),
already have accelerometer (Craigslist find a while back),
$15 battery pack/charger for motors/motor controllers,
$10 aluminum sheet from Home Depot to build chassis & arms,
$20ish (4) cheap propellers from fantasy world,
already have screws wire, etc.
This one will probably spend more time in my hand running than in the air but it will start me off with some lessons learned and best practices for under $50. I'd rather crash and burn $50 than $250!

Hi, Rob, thanks for the great details!
Yes, I should start cheap and small.
My final goal is to build one like the V6 in http://www.draganfly.com/

We should probably pin down the time we meet tomorrow. What were you guys thinking?

1030 or 11 is fine with me i just live on the other side of the port so its a quick drive

Either works with me two, we just need to pick one.

1030 it is (this will have me home for lunch with the fam)

Ok for 10:30

Okay then, see you all there.

This week I'll be handing over the password to www.boredhacker.blogspot.com to anyone in the Tacoma area with an ongoing Arduino project. Ideally we can post some pics and status on what myself, Leo-pan, Jeffonfire and Mr B have on their work benches and share whatever resources/advice we have access to.

Thanks for showing up this morning guys!

I like your blogs!
Very nice meeting all of you at the Cutters Point Coffee!
Wish we all work together to attract more people.
Rob, are you offering any workshops?

This topic has jumped threads to:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1274413059/0

most definitely. I would love to join a more local club. would love to see what others are up to around T-town. Hit me back. Being an electrician, I have a grasp on the inputs and outputs. Its the code I'm struggling with. Hope to hear from you guys. That'd be killer.

Thanks,
Jared

TacomaSparky, we wold love to have you! We are having a meeting this weekend. http://tacomarobotics.org/index.php?id=events
Throw me a message or email and I will send you our location details. :wink:

First Tacoma meeting of the year! I'll be soliciting help from the guys to get a web cam running on my Chumby'duino for object tracking. If anyone's interested we can also spend a few minutes on the simplest ways (I've found) to get your Linux machine (or Chumby) attached to your Arduino project. :slight_smile: