Vista64 and Arduino 0009

I'm trying to get 0009 running on my Vista64 box (my first time) and I keep getting the error below. Before people say RTFM, this is a clean install of Vista, no other compiler installed, I've d/l the package 3 times and get the same error every time I startup or try to compile the Blinking example.

1406 [main] ? (1268) C:\Users\dale\Desktop\arduino\arduino-0009\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x0/0x6115B900.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version should
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
3 [main] avr-g++ 3348 child_copy: stack write copy failed, 0x27DAD0..0x280000, done 0, windows pid 2611716, Win32 error 5
213 [main] ? (4064) C:\Users\dale\Desktop\arduino\arduino-0009\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x0/0x6115B900.
1133818 [main] avr-g++ 3348 child_copy: stack write copy failed, 0x27DAD0..0x280000, done 0, windows pid 2611716, Win32 error 5
1389 [main] ? (3152) C:\Users\dale\Desktop\arduino\arduino-0009\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x0/0x6115B900.
3387953 [main] avr-g++ 3348 child_copy: stack write copy failed, 0x27DAD0..0x280000, done 0, windows pid 2611716, Win32 error 5
603 [main] ? (672) C:\Users\dale\Desktop\arduino\arduino-0009\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x0/0x6115B900.
7477965 [main] avr-g++ 3348 child_copy: stack write copy failed, 0x27DAD0..0x280000, done 0, windows pid 2611716, Win32 error 5

Now is Arduino 0009 Win32 only? Will I have to use my linux box (DSL) to run the IDE with very little trouble?

Thanks

Vista compatibility is a top priority for Arduino 0010. In the meantime, it should be possible to get work with Arduino 0009, but will take some doing. You need to download the latest version of WinAVR. Then, rename the tools/ directory in the Arduino application directory. Copy the WinAVR directory into the Arduino application directory and rename it "tools". You might also have to move some of the files in the WinAVR directory so their locations correspond to the ones in the original tools directory. Then, you'll need to copy the original tools/avr/bin/avrdude.exe and tools/avr/bin/avrdude.conf into the new WinAVR tools directory (in the same sub-directories). People have had success with this with Vista 32 bit. With Vista 64-bit, I'm not so sure.

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight, reminds me of when I used to used Gentoo, and back in the 2.2.x kernel days trying to get mplayer to work. I'll post on my progress.

Well this could have been one of the problems: I'm missing avrdude.conf in both my unpacked file and in my zip file:

Thought I found it but it's not there, 'll try to re-d/l 0009 to see if I had a corrupt d/l :frowning:

Unfortunately, it's probably not that simple. You should find avrdude.conf in /tools/avr/etc. I think you'll need to get different versions of the binaries (from WinAVR, I hope) for Vista.

well at least I can compile now, I did try WinAVR and it will compile with no complaints, now just gotta get it to upload. I get the following:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

So I probably have a setting wrong, I know it's trying to communicate because I forgot to plug in my arduino to my PC and when I uploaded it reset my Zaurus that I had plugged into one of my USB ports

OK I got it to work :slight_smile: I had previously d/l drivers from FTDI's site for the USB-> Serial drivers, and forced Vista64 to use them, but it wasn't working, so I let Vista d/l it's own drivers for the FTDI chip and everything works now.

So you can chaulk Vista64 to work with IDE after a little modification.

Awesome. I'll have to include WinAVR's version of things in the next release of the Arduino software.

Oh I forgot to mention that when starting the IDE, I get some error from windows that the I can't use the default Windows colors or visa versa (unfortunately when I VNC to my home comp from work it doesn't show up). I think it's just a java thing, but everything works.