Arduino and CD4511

Hello,

I'm new to Arduino... and I need some help. I'm sorry if someone else posted this question already but... here it goes:
I am trying to use two CD4510 IC's which in turn drive two 7 segment digits.
The problem I have: how do I set a counter which counts from 1 to 99 and transform that in binary and then output to pins 2-9.

I think it would be easy to use Arrays but I have no idea how to output an array of values...
I thot about doing something like:
Pins[]={2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
and then output something like:
[LOW, HIGH,...,LOW, LOW]

Therefore I'm stuck. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
A.

I am trying to use two CD4510 IC's which in turn drive two 7 segment digits.

That is an up / down counter, it is not a chip that you can use for your project. What wiring had you thought of using?

Yes driving 7 segment displays is possible look at the schematic, the words are in German but the schematic is in electronics:-
http://www.andreadrian.de/schach/#Selbstbau_Schachcomputer_SHAH

I think it would be easy to use Arrays

Yes it would.

Ups... my first post and a wrong one... :-[ I am using a CD4511... sorry.. I was loking at a 4510/4511 schematic I had around...

I forgot to mention... I already hooked up the two 7 Segment LED display to the IC's and the arduino. If I put a code like:

int ledPin2 = 2; 
int ledPin3 = 3; 
int ledPin4 = 4;
int ledPin5 = 5; 
int ledPin6 = 6;
int ledPin7 = 7; 
int ledPin8 = 8;
int ledPin9 = 9; 
void setup()
{
 pinMode(ledPin2, OUTPUT);      
 pinMode(ledPin3, OUTPUT);      
 pinMode(ledPin4, OUTPUT);     
 pinMode(ledPin5, OUTPUT);     
 pinMode(ledPin6, OUTPUT);      
 pinMode(ledPin7, OUTPUT);     
 pinMode(ledPin8, OUTPUT);     
 pinMode(ledPin9, OUTPUT);  
}

void loop()
{
 digitalWrite(ledPin2, HIGH);
 digitalWrite(ledPin3, LOW);
 digitalWrite(ledPin4, HIGH);
 digitalWrite(ledPin5, LOW);
 digitalWrite(ledPin6, HIGH);
 digitalWrite(ledPin7, LOW);
 digitalWrite(ledPin8, HIGH);
 digitalWrite(ledPin9, HIGH);

}

I can output the desired value... but it's static. What I am trying to do is make some binary counter.
I have 2 CD4511's and two 7segment digits... therefore the 8 pins...

As for the purpose of this... i want to make temp measurements and display them. Since I have no LCD at disposal I figured I could use the 7 segment display I already had. But using 14 pins instead of 8 ... made me think I could use the 4511(got it right now :smiley: ) to reduce the number of pins necessary.

A.

Thank you Grumpy_Mike for the links. I will try to make sense of them :slight_smile:

A.

You need to say how it is wired up then we can post code to help you drive it.

I'm sorry about my absence.

I connected the two 4511's to pins 2 to 9. And each of the 4511's have a 7 segment display connected, thus I have a 2 digit number available. As a simple, static value, i managed to make this work. But I would like to change the value as the program runs, e.g.: i measure a temp or a voltage on pin A0 and then output to the display.

A.

You can use the SHIFTOUT coding to get a binary out of numbers.

I use it from Adruino to a cd4511 to a cd4049 to a seven segment LED.