Go Down

Topic: Not bad for my first time hand soldering a TQFP32 (Read 253 times) previous topic - next topic

wilykat

May 26, 2018, 06:34 am Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:35 am by wilykat

I've done various SMD as small as 0603 resistors, LEDs, small transistors, and all but the IC had been skipped in favor of through hole version because the DIP socket is far cheaper than SOIC or QFP socket.  I used ATMega328pb because it was a bit cheaper than older versions but it required minicore installed in IDE because b isn't fully supported yet.  b version has 2 fully functioning A6 and A7 pins while older version are only usable as analog input. Also 2 more GPIO pins at pin 3 and 6.

I had not soldered a TQFP before so I was risking a $1.40 chip on my first try.  Not too bad.  My project converts Sega Genesis (or Mega Drive) controller to work on Intellivision system with standard 3x4 keypad, optional since the way I coded my chip I can use original controller in line with Sega controller for the keypad.

I did find a mistake that I didn't catch when I designed the PCB, the 10k pullup resistor for reset wasn't connected to 5v at all. So the chip would have been unreliable and resetting randomly without ISP programmer plugged in.  A quick bodge wire fixed it.

Intellivision controller weren't comfortable to use and no one made a nice 3rd party controller replacement mainly because the controllers were wired internally and no company back in the day wanted to risk lawsuit because someone opened the console to swap controller and accidentally touched live 110v that are inside.

I've also made adapter for using Atari Jaguar controller to Intellivision some years ago, the keypad is built in.

Qdeathstar

May 26, 2018, 06:38 am Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:40 am by Qdeathstar
i like your trace, it reminds me of mines. I was considering for all my future board adding a solder link (zero ohm resistor type deal) on all my tracks so i could more easily fix screwups... nicely done.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

liuzengqiang

Congrats! Looks clean to me. My first SMD IC wasn't as pretty. Did you use any flux pen or flux paste? They make surface mount soldering quite a bit easier. Also using thinner solder helps a lot. I have 0.015" diameter wire I can just push against SMD ICs with this pitch with very few bridges because how thin it is.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

Budvar10

This SMD IC looks good (+1). Show us the bottom. 8)
Arduino clone with ATmega1284P   http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277260.0

Go Up