RF Communication, send data with an arduino, receive without.

Hello,

I bought an Electric skateboard and i want to change the controller. I want to use a gesture control glove with 2 flex sensors on it and a Lilypad. I am thinking to desolder the RF Transmitter from the controller and use it for the Glove.
As you understand, the skateboard goes forward and it also has breaking. My question is, how can i send data from the glove directly to the receiver without the use of a second Arduino? I mean, except the lilypad that is gonna be on the glove, i want to receive the data on the skateboard without an Arduino.
It's like doing the same job with the original controller but now i'll use x2 Flex sensors and a lilypad.
I want to avoid the modifications on the board, thats why i dont want a second Arduino.
Is there a way to transmit from the glove, the same commands like those of the original controller? So the receiver won't understand any difference and it will send the same commands like before to the ESC.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

I think it's possible, however you have to know the commands the original controller accepts.. Then i guess it might be easy !! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
So the first thing to do, in my opinion, is to figure out the command list of the original controller ... That's how it won't understand any difference.. :wink: :wink:

Thanks, but do you know how can i find these commands?

Perhaps if you connect the receiver to an arduino, then i suppose you can read the commands sent by the controllers transmitter...

hm, i will try it tomorrow.
By the way i heard that i have to record the signal from the transmitter or use an oscilloscope to read it.
With the timings figured out, it's the only way to find out the complete sequence corresponding to each command (Full Throttle, Decelerate)...

I would like to know if it's true, so if someone ever heard about it, please tell me :slight_smile:

So finally the skate is here...

Here is the controller:
http://imgur.com/v2CnI9f
Imgur

And the skateboard + receiver:
http://imgur.com/5t4nuXS
Imgur

Any ideas?

First thing to work out would be the Frequency of the signal. If it is a simple OOK 433MHz I may be able to help. But if it is something more sophisticated eg ZigBee etc then for me that is a whole different ball game. Are there any identifying marks on the Tx board? I have tried a few but no luck.

Cheers, Rob

Maybe a more simplistic though slightly bulkier (and less fun) option might be to just simulate the potentiometer control using the lillypad and keep the current transmitter/receiver. No need then to try decoding the RF signal, just work out the centre point and range of the throttle pot and emulate it.

robwlakes:
First thing to work out would be the Frequency of the signal. If it is a simple OOK 433MHz I may be able to help. But if it is something more sophisticated eg ZigBee etc then for me that is a whole different ball game. Are there any identifying marks on the Tx board? I have tried a few but no luck.

Cheers, Rob

I couldn't find any. Maybe it's because my electronics skills are kinda low :stuck_out_tongue:
I can take a new pic if you want!
Also about the Frequency, i don't have any infos. I even sent an email to the Chinese Company and asked them about datasheets and the Frequency. But guess what, no response :confused:
What do you mean if it is a Zigbee or a 433MHz signal? Are you talking about the arduino communication? Sorry if i am making "stupid" questions but i am new in the whole RF Communication thing

Riva:
Maybe a more simplistic though slightly bulkier (and less fun) option might be to just simulate the potentiometer control using the lillypad and keep the current transmitter/receiver. No need then to try decoding the RF signal, just work out the centre point and range of the throttle pot and emulate it.

That's a really good idea but the problem is, i don't have a lot of free space on the ESD Glove. Imagine that the PCB of the Pistol Controller is kinda big. It's like a normal RC Pistol Controller. Also it's my Thesis project and if i am gonna do that, my essay will be max 5 pages :stuck_out_tongue:

If I was on one of those powered skateboards I think I would want some fairly rigorous protocol creating the link between me and the board. eg two way confirmation of reception etc so if I fell off and the board zoomed out of range, it would "know" and stop!!

A picture would help, but not getting any advice from the suppliers is hardly surprising as you suggest. However if you get out a magnifying glass (a USB microscope would be ideal :slight_smile: ) and note down the chip numbers on the back of the IC's may give you a lead. Sometimes those numbers are just the month they were made in, but plugging them into Google can give you a lead on what they have designed it with.

I bit laborious and hit or miss, but that's a hacker's main line of attack until a solid lead can be established. I am sure you can do that ok and easier to do than trying to get a perfect close up of the board for me to try to read.

Are there any obvious antennas? If there is the length and style of them can give give a good indication of roughly what frequency the Tx/Rx are working on. (~17cm=433MHz is one I know off by heart). The setup you have is made for very close range range so antennas may not be critical.

Could it be some sort of model aeroplane set up where the signal concept is run through like their servo control's. eg 2.4GHz. I would guess the motor ESC's could be similar to what is used in today's electric model aeroplanes? Do you have to sync or bind the Tx with the Rx in any way before it works?

EDIT: eg look these up "NRF24L01+ 2.4GHz Antenna Wireless Transceiver Module For Arduino AUL"

Sorry late to get back, but email notification did not appear to work.

Cheers, Rob