Can this Sure GLCD use Arduino library

Would someone please be able to tell me if this GLCD that I purchased on Ebay is classified as a “Pinout B panel” in the ks0108 graphics LCD library tutorial at
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/GLCDks0108
Thank you Pedro.

Which GLCD? Do you have a link?

Yes there is a nice library for the KS0108 Arduino Playground - HomePage data sheet enclosed.

Doc

KS0108_GLCD_Documentation.pdf (544 KB)

Sorry cowasaki, I knew I forgot something, here is the link

Hi Doc,
thanks for that. There are just so many different GLCD displays it’s hard to know which one to buy. I hope you are keeping well, Pedro

I don't buy anything but the Itead product, They work well on a mega and the library is great to use... in 65K colors. A KS0108 + 1 color...
AND I Would Never buy ANYTHING from Sure Electronics.. Again, They don't back up their products... I bought a dev board ffrom them and when it turned up defective... they asked me to return it... So "They Could Evaluate IT". I'm not about to spend another 5 -7 dollars to have them toss it... Mind you the request came after 5 sets of pictures of the device failing on the programmer (Pickit 2 and the last PIC I will EVER buy) Co-indecently the product was discontinued within a week of my last letter to them. I bought 2 of the 3208 panels and a display controller... From them and the software supplied was utter CRAP. Once opened it cannot be moved or re sized or minimized and we all know about how much data was ever published about those panels and their use. There is a nice lib for them but ... The parts should be usable as is. It should NEVER be necessary to write your own controller to replace a $30.00 PCB... It does have 2 nice 5V switchers on it though and the serial port connections are available... So I am going to pry the processor off with a screwdriver and use what's good on it. A USB to TTL serial port and 2, 2A 5V switchers...

Senseless Stupid Rant...

Doc

Pedro,
Yes that glcd module should work with the glcd library
as long as the actual glcd module matches
what is in the datasheet that was linked to on their page.

Do you have the glcd already?

You can download the datasheet (its a single page) from the vendor's page.
This will give you the pinout and and pin orientation.

When looking for a glcd module for use with the "glcd" library the key
thing to look for is "ks0108".
A ks0108 based glcd module will have 20 pins
VCC, GND, VO, D0 through D7, EN, CS1, CS2, RESET, R/W, DI or RS, Vee, A (backlight +), K (backlight gnd)

The order of the pins varies between boards that's why having a datasheet,
or even better a module with labeled pins, is needed.
When looking at pinouts be careful. At first glance a ST7920
will look very similar to a ks0108 board. They work very differently
and the "glcd" library does not support the ST7920 module.
The quick way to tell the difference is that a ST7920 will not have CS1 and CS2 pins
and instead will have one called PSB and one "NC" or not connected.

--- bill

Pedro,

As Bill has said, that should be fine. Looking at it it looks identical to a batch I bought about 6 months ago and they worked perfectly as "2" on the table.

So looking at their data sheet:

we can check off each pin and.....

1 GND - Yes
2 VCC - Yes
3 VO for backlight - Yes
4 DI - Yes
5 RW - Yes
6 EN - Yes
7-14 D0-D7 - Yes
15 CS1 - Yes
16 CS2 - Yes
17 Reset - Yes
18 VEE LCD - Yes
19 LEDA - Yes
20 LEDK - Yes

So yes that confirms it as a type 2

If you have any problems give us a shout, I did a lot of work with them a while ago (I'm pondering over 7" touch screen TFTs now!)

Doc – sorry to hear about your bad experience with Sure. I have a 3208 that I have working ok just running basic text scrolling with someone else's code, but I will now be wary of any further purchases from them.

Bill – I am still waiting for the display to arrive on “the slow boat from China” , so when it arrives I’ll connect it as a type 2 and see how I go. Yes, I have another ST7920 based GLCD that you previously helped me with on the GLCD library version 3 thread. I have still to try anything with that display because on the U8glib site it says

“Some graphics boards only use 3.3 volt. The digital ports of such a graphics board must not be connected directly to the Arduino Board. Use a level translation (e.g. 74HC4050) between Arduino Board and graphics display”

After I saw that I thought that I would just buy a KS0108 based display and tackle the ST7920 display further down the track.

cowasaki – glad to hear that maybe I picked the right display this time and thanks for the offer of help if needed. Good luck with the 7" touch screen TFT, they look interesting.

Thank you to you all for your advice and help, without your guidance beginners like myself would not be able to progress in this great hobby of micro controllers, Pedro.

cowasaki:

Type 2 ?????

What is that?

--- bill

bperrybap:

cowasaki:

Type 2 ?????

What is that?

--- bill

:smiley: I meant "B"

I received my GLCD display today and connected it up to an Uno as per this PDF that Doc referenced in reply #2 of this thread

KS0108_GLCD_Documentation.pdf

Then I tried to upload the Hello world code from the examples in the glcd library but got this error

“Binary sketch size: 6,070 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00”

I tried the GLCDdiags code and got the same error. Any suggestions appreciated thanks

What board/IC are you using?
What version of the IDE?
What date/version of the library?

I am using Uno R3, arduino1.0.3 and I am not sure where to find the glcd library version but does this help

glcd BuildNumber 442
vi:ts=4

glcd_Buildinfo H file -

//
// glcd build information
// This headerfile is automatically generated
//

#ifndef glcd_Buildinfo_h
#define glcd_Buildinfo_h

#define GLCD_GLCDLIB_DATESTR "Mon Dec 5 01:50:07 CST 2011"
#define GLCD_GLCDLIB_BUILDSTR "442"
#endif

Can you still upload if you remove the display? Maybe your display is sucking to much current for the Arduino.

Riva - I removed the display from the breadboard [too many wires to disconnect from the Uno 8)] and the code uploaded but still nothing showing on the display. I also plugged an external 9V power supply into the barrel jack of the board.

Pedro147:
Riva - I removed the display from the breadboard [too many wires to disconnect from the Uno 8)] and the code uploaded but still nothing showing on the display. I also plugged an external 9V power supply into the barrel jack of the board.

Sorry Pedro147 I can't really help with the display though I will look in some detail later (meant to be working).
Did you have the 9V supply connected before when it failed to upload the sketch or have you since connected it? If it was running off 9V then maybe there is a screen/wiring problem or it's still drawing to much power.

And all the connections are as per the above table? Does the lcd light up?

Riva - when I initially tried to upload the code I did not have the 9V supply connected. When you suggested that I try to upload with the display disconnected, I removed the display from the breadboard and the code uploaded successfully, so then I plugged the 9V supply into the board just in case it was drawing more current than the USB could supply.

cowasaki - yes I have checked the connectionS and they are as shown in the PDF that Docedison posted the link to in reply #2 of this thread. The LCD back light is lighting up.

Edit - I investigated a little further and found out that the code will not upload with the display connected to the breadboard with either USB only power or with both USB and 9V supply connected simultaneously, but if I remove the display from the breadboard the code will upload with only USB power connected or both USB and 9V

Pedro147:
Edit - I investigated a little further and found out that the code will not upload with the display connected to the breadboard with either USB only power or with both USB and 9V supply connected simultaneously, but if I remove the display from the breadboard the code will upload with only USB power connected or both USB and 9V

The display should be wired for type B pinouts. It sounds like the your drawing to much current. Is the backlight powered from the arduino 5V pin? Disconnect it (pin 19 on the LCD) and see if you can upload code then.

It is wired up as type B, and I disconnected pin 19 power and still no upload. I have checked and rechecked the connections and they are all correct