Can I make a parody icon based on Arduino icon?

Hi, all.

My friends and I are making open-source sensor board based on Arduino. The name is "HelloBoard".
HelloBoard is a Scratch-compatible sensor board, so it has a slider, button, mic and cds like a PicoBoard.

I want to use a HelloBoard icon based on Arduino icon with parody and humor like below.

Is there any restriction or sth to use it?

I forgot image link..

http://docs.google.com/View?id=df9647ff_93hghv8rhp

HelloBoard icon based on Arduino icon with parody and humor like below.

The logo was not designed by the arduino team and as far as I can remember, it was released on a sharealike licence or something like that.

I use it on my site: http://www.duinoaday.co.uk

Mowcius

I use it on my site: http://www.duinoady.co.uk

Avast! Yer link be broken, matey.

sorry, fixed now :slight_smile:

Hej hej,

did you know that Scratch is supporting Arduino and that there will be work done to make Scratch's next generation export Arduino sketches as well?

/d

Just as a reference,

Dave Mellis is planning to work on Scratch for Arduino as you can see at his MIT's profile page:

http://web.media.mit.edu/~mellis/

/d

Mellis went to MIT? Didn't know that.. :open_mouth:

+[ch8734] Respect :slight_smile:

indeed +5 internets for you, mellis.

I have a serious question about colleges, inspired by the fact that you went to MIT:

How much do colleges appreciate tinkering? It's a time consuming, addictive hobby that is very productive IMHO, but it also tends to suck time away from school work, so it's kind of a win/loss.

I apologize in advance for shifting the thread topic

I'd be interested to know if colleges care about hobbies as well.

I'd love to go to MIT (not that it's particularly in my family's budget at the moment), but I've got serious doubts I'd get it (even considering my straight-A performance in High School thus far).

Straight A's huh? Yea I'm falling off that track quickly... I mean my GPA's gonna be around 92-93 senior year, but I'd hate to see kids who just did their homework all the time go to a better college than me because I chose to devote time to what I hope will eventually become a profession.

but I'd hate to see kids who just did their homework all the time go to a better college than me because I chose to devote time to what I hope will eventually become a profession.

I completely agree with that. Schools don't have enough around to spot young talent in things that they don't teach. I'm sure there are a lot of kids around who could easily do a job in electronics without any of the formal qualifications you gain at school.

Mowcius

Because of my outside interests, I was pretty close to the best in my class for high school physics and biology. My physics teacher actually did recognize that my outside interests were helping my schoolwork... but that was only after I did a science fair project that was related to semiconductors and some basic electronics experiments. Granted... that was 1977 and the Integrated Circuit concept was sill somewhat of a baby then. Seemed avant garde at the time. ;D

I'd hate to see kids who just did their homework all the time go to a better college than me

Define "better college" ? Is that one of those academically rigorous places where you won't have time to do any more non-schoolwork hacking? (I was so happy as an EE major when Lancaster's TTL and CMOS cookbook showed up in the college bookstore. What class are THOSE for, I checked eagerly... Ah. Some graduate chemistry class dealing with building lab equipment... Back to my smith charts and calculus... Sigh.)

Define "better college" ?

A place that my parents want me to go.

I personally have lost nearly all hope in the modern education system (at least that of the U.S.). Besides the fact that much if my time is spent at home studying things I will never again use in my life, I don't get rewarded for what I learn on my own.

And this extends further into college as well, from what I gather. AND what's worse - I can't expect a very nice job unless I attend one of the 1st tier colleges, as my counselor calls them... even though I have heard from infinitely many people telling me that I can learn the same things at almost any college.

well I have been looking into going back to school for electronics, I had a nack for it in high school but my teacher thought I would be better suited for software developement (maybe cause I kept making computer games in class) and so that's what I did ...

but I never really liked it as much as electronics, and now that I am not doing software professionally ...

anyway the closest schools in my area are over an hour away, they do require your basic english math etc, what is pissing me off is there is a community college less than 10 min down the road, but most that I have checked with will not accept their credits, simply put because I am not giving them a bigger check and if they cant have it all then I cant go

the entire experience with "for hire" schools have really put me in a foul mood, telemarketing calls at 7:30AM, cant get a darn catalog without meeting them first, and no one seems to understand that I am 30 years old, the only money maker in my household, and working full time

I just cant drop everything for meetings and marketing pitches when I cant even get the student telemarketers to tell me if the offer night classes or offer me a meeting that is not on a 17 year old's "still living with the folks" mc donalds schedule

anyway still digging though the crap, sticking with it, hopefully start soon

I can't expect a very nice job unless I attend one of the 1st tier colleges

1. define "nice job"? I've noticed that some people seem to have time for hobbies and such that are distinctly different than their "job", for instance, for which a job that actually doesn't occupy more than those official 8 hours/day is pretty useful, perhaps. Other people find anything that involves working for someone else "distasteful." And there is "startup" vs "security", and any number of other variables which match different people in different ways.

2. Bullcrap. Several tiers of colleges will get you perfectly fine jobs. After your second job or so, your degree is probably just a checkmark. (though that FIRST job may be a bit more difficult to get. Depending on your degree. And the economy. And who knows what factors may or may not be playing 4+ years from now.)