Arduino Mega, Screw (Terminal) it

Just came across this:

which were also mounted on this Arduino Mini board:
Imgur

So I suppose that would fit (am I right the pins on an arduino have 2.54mm distance between each?). That still wouldn't solve the problem with the double rows on the Mega, but it should give me enough terminals to do the job.

Can someone confirm these would fit? Thanks!

So you're really after a shield with regular female headers to maintain stackability, and screw terminals to have a secure place to connect wires, with dual row of screw terminals perhaps like these:

If your planning on getting it all on a box the best way id say is to make a custom shield( about 15$ on batchpcb + handling) and have individual connectors for each peripheral with all its needed connections neeatly in a row to use a regular straight jumper cable between the two
I had an lcd screen that took 20 pins scattered cross my mega, as well as about 8 other peripherals tht needed between 4 and 8 connections each
made it all into a shield that is easy to use, labeled well and quite neat

Thanks for the hints guys!
Ordered the screw terminals, so that should do the job. I grouped all I/O in terminal blocks so that the wires could be bundled together rather than flying through the whole box. So one block for the LCD, another for encoders & buttons, et cetera.

There is already a prototype shield on top, since it has a handy foot for a XBee, but maybe using an extra larger blanc shield would be a good idea indeed to put on the resistors and such.

All in all the less different components, the better. If we have to replace parts or make an extra one over 2 years, it shouldn't become too much of a puzzle to find & build all components again. That's why I'm a bit wary with buying special shields. Screw terminal strips are available in any shop, but shields made for a special purpose... Still doubting a bit if I shouldn't just use a PLC, but it's a fun and learnful project (and cheaper) :wink:

Thanks,
Rick

PLC?

Battch pcb I've you two pcbs for every one you order, so you would have a spare if needed
And so long as you have the design files you can always get another, the design file would also allow someone else to build the board

I don't want to get into "this service is better than that service" kind of discussion.
Everyone has their own price points they can live with.
I demand the same kind of build capability that I work with , even if its just 2 layers and not 16 with multiple ground & power planes.
iteadstudio has shown they can do that, with support for finer traces and smaller holes.
$9.90 for ten 50mm x 50mm boards, and $24.90 for ten 100mm x 100mm boards, has met a lot of my needs.

I came across this thread while trying to source the same thing. I've been told about a Mega screw shield here

http://www.aqualed-light.com/?sec=home&id=1758

You will have to run it through a translator if you don't understand Portuguese. I was trying to find an online shop so I didn't have to email for an invoice, but this is all I've found so far.

@rockerpeller:

I need one of these or equivalent but I haven't been able to find one either.

Does anybody else know an online source for MEGA2560 Screw Shields ???

Doesn't look that hard to design.

There are screw shields available for the UNO, but not for the MEGA2560. I installed one of the former in my train layout and it's great.

Now I am deploying a MEGA2560 to control signals at the layout depending on turnout positions. I will use all 70 pins but two (Rx & Tx) and I've already figured out how to do it without a Screw Shield, but it won't be the same. :frowning:

Hows this look for a start?

and schematic

CrossRoads:
Hows this look for a start?

Wow Robert,

You do really have a flash of genius!

It seems to me an excellent job, ... YES !!! I trust you!

If you develop it, I'd like to be your first customer, no matter the price. Aruino MEGA2560 Screw Shield by CrossRoads Serial Nr. 000001 for Billy !!!

Sincerely,
Billy :slight_smile:

I'd buy one.

kd7eir:
I'd buy one.

YES!

See, right now I am plugging some 24AWG wires in the MEGA2560 outputs, and twice that many Kynar AWG30 wire wrapped to 1N4001 diodes to the sense (input) pins. They seem to hold allright but flaky.

The Screw Shield would make them completely secure and ELEGANT!

Does anyone have a clue as to a shield for the mega that would allow a 40 pin cable, short but long enough to access the other I/O on the mega... I have an LCD (Itead) and a shield for my mega but there is NO access to anything under that shield...
I would hate to make one... 40 dollars or so??? the time isn't an issue just a one of or two of circuit board is more than I want to pay. Any Idea's?

Doc

Guess I'll finish up the design then.

Doc, not really clear what you are after. You mean like a 40 pin header that could used in place of the 36 pins on the end of the board?

Thanks Robert! :slight_smile:

Please let me know.

rockerpeller:
I came across this thread while trying to source the same thing. I've been told about a Mega screw shield here

AquaLED Light – Shop

You will have to run it through a translator if you don't understand Portuguese. I was trying to find an online shop so I didn't have to email for an invoice, but this is all I've found so far.

Bing translates it as

Main characteristics of Screw Shield for the Arduino Mega:

-Works on any Arduino Mega 2560/ADK/1280/Other/Clones.
-Can be stacked with other shields over.
-All pins of the Arduino Mega are replicated by terminals with screws being so simple to make any link without welds.
-Have extra for signs of terminals GND, 5V, 3.3 V and VIN in order to easily feed on other external circuits.

General appearance:

What is not clear is what sort of wires or wire terminations it accepts. Maybe the slots beside the screw heads are where the wires go or maybe there are conventional round holes not shown in the photo.