Power LED shield

Cool, I was hoping someone from the reef crowd would chime in too.

Thanks for the warning on heat. I'll have to keep an eye on that. I haven't had any issues with my 700mA bucks, but I haven't tried any of the other ones.

I did notice in the spec sheets, the boost drivers have a max 1A input current, which means if you're driving a big serial string of LEDs, your input voltage must be much higher than the rated minimum. They can drive up to 48V @ 350mA, so at max output you must have at least 17V on the input. I expect a lot of people try to run them at 12V input and are seeing them overheat. If heat problems are showing up on the 1A buck drivers, then it sounds like 1A may be the realm of danger across the board. It wouldn't surprise me if the devices did not hold up to spec. My 700mA bucks only give out 640mA regardless of load, input voltage or adjustment.

The design of the Power LED Shield is based on the LuxDrive *Puck units (because so far they're the only pre-made driver I can find that does both analog and PWM dimming), but I'm looking at ways to make it less specific to one brand. Post a link to the units you're talking about and I'll see if it's a minor change to make it compatible.

If anyone has links to other drivers they like, please post and I'll check it out. If I can make the shield more friendly to a wider range of options, I will for sure.

BTW: the images above don't reflect the latest designs, in spite of me updating them. See this link for the latest designs:
http://www.chesterfamily.org/gallery/ProjectsAndStuff/Electronics/