detect 240v or Hall sensor or light sensor?

hi,

I would like to monitor which lights are on in my house - I have 4 din rail mounted modules with 12 relay based switches each in an electric cabinet. I also have a module that controls dimmable lights with a 0-10v signal. There the answer is easy - voltage dividers will send 0 to 5v to analog input and I will know which lights are on and how much.

I thought I had three options:

• 240v relay in parallel to the output - but at 9 eur a piece x approx 50 not preferred (and taking up lots of space in the cabinet)
  • each output lights a red/orange led on the module when active - so a light sensor would be something but they seem to be analog mostly
  • Hall sensor attached to the live 240v wire but will it trigger?

Suggestions for cost-effective and not too ugly implementation welcome...

The other bits and pieces I already have. There is an infra red receiver included in the system so I have built an arduino box that listens to http requests and sends an IR signal which puts the lights on. It only when you push a light switch manually that the system doesn't know hence the need for a feedback project.

many thanks!
Jhh

Hi

• each output lights a red/orange led on the module when active - so a light sensor would be something but they seem to be analog mostly

Would it be possible to solder on a line to sense when voltage is present on each of those LEDs? That would be the cheapest option I can think of presuming there's a LED for every output you're wanting to detect activity on.

Geoff

Train inhabitants to turn light off when not in use - cheap, safe and ups your claim to be the alpha dog

strykeroz:
Would it be possible to solder on a line to sense when voltage is present on each of those LEDs? That would be the cheapest option I can think of presuming there's a LED for every output you're wanting to detect activity on.

I opened one of the modules and the LEDs are tiny surface mounted thingies - I could solder one off and create a short circuit but that's about it. It would have been an efficient option though but the modules are too expensive to go for this one.

Thanks!
jhh

jackrae:
Train inhabitants to turn light off when not in use - cheap, safe and ups your claim to be the alpha dog

That part is already done - :wink: the only thing is that I and my fancy home control software both look rather silly as we think the light is still on if someone uses the wall switches instead of the software or tablet...so I need to get feedback in the system.

Jhh