electronics rule broken?

Thanks for the replies. In answer to your switch connection, I am using something to simulate the closing of a relay. The two wires from the switch are the same as N.O. contacts of a relay (attached to a sensor). When the relay closes it is like me moving the switch to connect both wires like the relay would.
The 4.5+v is definitely getting to the arduino. They all work individually but the arduino is not recognizing them unless they are is a particular order.
Stated another way, the arduino input pins don't change they are always 4, 5, and 11. If switch 1 and 2 (left to right) are in 4, and 5, then 5 doesn't go high. If switch 1 goes to 4, switch 2 goes to 11, and switch 3 goes to 5 they all go high when all the switches are closed.
So if the switches are next to each other on the breadboard they can't be next to each other in the arduino or one of the pins won't go high. This is why I thought there was some rule broken. Something rule that would lead to the switches being better isolated from each other.

The logic probe looks like a good tool to have around, thanks for the suggestion.
Toolduino gets the same job done but needs a computer. To use it you run the StandardFirmata sketch then startup Toolduino. It then gives you a graphic representation of the arduino and what is happening to all of the pins. Toolduino also shows that all three pins are not going high unless the pins have a particular switch in them. This is how I figured out that there was a way to get all three to work at the same time.

Thanks for the help and ideas

Don