ShiftPWM support topic. Latest update: Schematics, high power LED's, LED strips

milamber:
This ShiftPWM library looks fantastic and is a very nice implementation of Shift Registers. I have been working on a Matrix display (Seems there are alot of us doing this) and I am wondering how ShiftPWM would hold up being used in a matrix? I understand that it is not setup to run a matrix but could it? Or would there be too many issues? I found another thread by Zuluriney (http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,69235.0.html), he is trying to do the same thing. Seems he has it working but I doubt it would be optimal.

I am not a great programmer but could the Library be written to do this very fast software PWM for a matrix?

If not then still a very cool thing to have in the tool collection. Thanks Elco!

It would be possible to use ShiftPWM to drive each row. The difference with a matrix and a chain is that in a matrix, you basically alternate in driving multiple chains. The maximum duty cycle for the LED's is 1/rows.
If each time you reset the counter, you also switch rows you can make some modifications to use it for matrices.