Library: Arduino + ATtiny compatible Manchester encoding/decoding

I have just published a Manchester encoding/decoding library which is compatible with Arduino and ATtiny.

This library was originally published on this thread: Arduino Forum

A friend and I have since been working with it and improving it.

I have now published it in the following location:

This library is ideal for use with the cheap 315Mhz/434Mhz RF transmitters and receivers which are available.

Would this be an appropriate library to add to the list on this page: Libraries - Arduino Reference

I am currently using the library with Arduino IDE 0022. I found there were issues with 1.0 support for the ATtiny.

Is this different/better somehow from the encoding that the VirtualWire library does for the same kind of transmitter/receivers?

I found there were issues with 1.0 support for the ATtiny.

?

Would this be an appropriate library to add to the list on this page: Libraries - Arduino Reference

Does the library work on an Uno?

CrossRoads:
Is this different/better somehow from the encoding that the VirtualWire library does for the same kind of transmitter/receivers?

The main difference is that this library works on an ATtiny85 (as well as an Arduino Uno) which is a nice cheap MCU to use for low power wireless nodes.

I haven't actually looked in detail at the code for the VirtualWire library so I can't say whether the encoding is any better/worse.

The library works on an Uno and on an ATtiny85. However I haven't managed to get it to compile using the IDE 1.0 ATtiny85 support.

Which core are you using?

I'm using the Core linked from this page: http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1695

I managed to resolve the compile errors on my project with IDE 1.0. However, the programming failed with the following errors.

avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny85
avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny85

avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): protocol error

Looks like I'll be sticking with Arduino 0022 for now.

protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64

...is a problem with the ArduinoISP sketch compiled with 1.0. You can lower the baud rate to 9600, increase the receive buffer size, or I have an update that works correctly with 1.0. If you'd like a copy, send me a Personal Message with your email address.

Thanks for the offer - I've sent you a PM. Is there a bug tracking this so it will be fixed in Arduino IDE 1.1?

I've taken a look at the VirtualWire library and it looks like it is a more advanced interrupt based solution. However, as per this thread apparently VirtualWire can be sensitive to the clock frequency changing with temperature.

I am investigating getting VirtualWire working properly on ATtiny so that I can do a fair comparison.

mchr3k:
Thanks for the offer - I've sent you a PM.

Sketch on the way.

Is there a bug tracking this so it will be fixed in Arduino IDE 1.1?

http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=661

I've tried using your updated Arduino ISP sketch and I can now program my ATtiny85 using Arduino IDE 1.0 without any errors.

I had to switch to use the Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. 1.0 compatible ATtiny85 core.

Excellent! I'm glad you have it working.

Probably. I suspect there are two obstacles...

1. "Full" Arduino support. I believe all those libraries have been shown to work on most or all Arduino boards. At a minimum, your library should be tested on one or both Mega boards.

2. Attention. The Arduino folks have fallen a bit behind in the documentation. Even if they agree to add your library, I suspect it would be months before it happened. Were I in your shoes I would continue the path you've started: publishing and documenting from a site you control.

Thanks for the warning. Is there any official process to have the library added to a list for future consideration?

I don't really mind if/when it ever gets linked from the Libraries page. It just seemed like it might be a useful library for other users.

Is there any official process to have the library added to a list for future consideration?

I am not aware of one. I'll try to find out...

I have now added interrupt driven message reception to the Manchester library. Full details are available here: Mchr3k - Arduino: Wireless sensor node - background rx (6)

Hello every one,

I have tried to install the library, but when i compile the exemple code, I have this error message:

C:\Project\Arduino\libraries\Manchester\Manchester.cpp: In function 'void MANRX_SetupReceive(uint8_t)':
C:\Project\Arduino\libraries\Manchester\Manchester.cpp:366: error: 'TCCR2A' was not declared in this scope
C:\Project\Arduino\libraries\Manchester\Manchester.cpp:366: error: 'WGM21' was not declared in this scope
C:\Project\Arduino\libraries\Manchester\Manchester.cpp:371: error: 'TCCR2B' was not declared in this scope
C:\Project\Arduino\libraries\Manchester\Manchester.cpp:371: error: 'CS21' was not declared in this scope
C:\Project\Arduino\libraries\Manchester\Manchester.cpp:371: error: 'CS20' was not declared in this scope
C:\Project\Arduino\libraries\Manchester\Manchester.cpp:372: error: 'OCR2A' was not declared in this scope
C:\Project\Arduino\libraries\Manchester\Manchester.cpp:379: error: 'TIMSK2' was not declared in this scope
C:\Project\Arduino\libraries\Manchester\Manchester.cpp:379: error: 'OCIE2A' was not declared in this scope
C:\Project\Arduino\libraries\Manchester\Manchester.cpp:380: error: 'TCNT2' was not declared in this scope

I searched in the internet and I think the problem come from the core of attiny85? Please show me how to fix it.

Many thanks