Go Down

Topic: Gas Heater Millivolt Control (Read 274 times) previous topic - next topic

wubbleu

Hi all,

I have a Regency F43-NG Gas Heater currently connected up to a FireGenie remote control.

The FireGenie is faulty, and rather than buy a replacement, I thought it'd be a neat project to build my own. The fireplace is enclosed and has a flue, and the millivolt switch can't start the flow of gas unless the pilot light is already (manually) lit, so as far as I can tell, the risks are fairly low (although of course not nothing).

My question is to do with the millivolt switch and the gas valve. Looking online, everywhere warns you to wire it correctly or risk damaging the gas valve. My plan was to cut the existing two wires to the FireGenie and connect them up to a relay connected to an Arduino. I'd also make sure not to open and close the gas valve in quick succession, because it sounded like that could wear the valve out (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Is there anything else I need to be aware of when working with millivolt switches and gas valves? What can damage this sort of system that I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

frank2644

I would try and design a fail-safe control...IOW, any failure would result in an off condition.

Accordingly, power failures are relatively easy to cope with, software failures not so much. Maybe some kind of interrupt routine might detect SFW problems.

Theoretically it's not a problem, but I would not want my fireplace to be turned-on for extended periods say if I am not home.

Frank

Go Up