Sharing compiled code?

I did search but wasn't able to find anything. Mostly because I'm probably not searching with the correct terminology..

What I'd like to do is compile code for my Uno to share with the UI developer that has no need to compile or see the source code.

Seems like a pretty basic requirement but I'm fairly new to embedded code on the Arduino so I'm not sure how to approach this.

Thanks,
Joshua

AFAIK that's not practical (or even possible) with small embedded systems.

Rob

Really? So you have to compile and download in one shot? I can't imagine why that would be the case. But as I said I'm knew to 'duino...

You should probably do that with the .hex (it's the hex code of the microcontroller) But not sure how can you upload the code with the Arduino IDE once other people got the .hex file..

Yes! But if you compile the source code where is it compiled to?

I think AVRDude is the way to upload files to 'duino...

THanks!

Actually I'm pretty rusty on this end of things these days and I also thought you meant at run time. You can probably compile your code to an object file then have people include that in their project at the link stage. But I don't think you could do that under the Arduino IDE, you'd have to get down and dirty with make files.

I'm prepared to be corrected though.

Rob

joshuaj:
Yes! But if you compile the source code where is it compiled to?

%TEMP%

joshuaj:
I think AVRDude is the way to upload files to 'duino...

Correct. Turn on verbose output to see the exact command line.

There's also ways to upload .hex files in a standalone method

or commercially with

will do the fuses & load program.

You could let the UI developer work with paper and pencil and after his storyboards/sketches are agreed upon you could implement them .

Is that an option?

As I understand it the OP wants to provide a "module" for developers to include with their program. In other words a library but without the source code.

Is that the case? If so it can't be done at the HEX file level surely.

Rob

Is that the case?

Can't tell for certain. The requirements are ambiguous.

If so it can't be done at the HEX file level surely.

Probably not.

We'll have to wait for clarity from @joshuaj.

alternative is to make fake code with the same interface for the UI. No need to share the secret parts...

Tough crowd! ]:slight_smile:

I need to provide updates for the micro to the UI developer in a remote location. He's not an embedded developer and has no need to see the source code. He just needs update to functionality as they become available.

CrossRoads:
There's also ways to upload .hex files in a standalone method

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11638

or commercially with

http://www.kanda.com/products/Kanda/HH0110.html
will do the fuses & load program.

Thanks!

So it's a total firmware upgrade? In that case HEX files will work.

Rob