Serial Port not found...

Hey guys I'm working on a senior project for college and am fairly new to Arduino.

I have been working with it and the software (Windows 7) for a few weeks now but just got an error today I've never gotten and I have tried everything (that I know of) to fix it.

I am getting an error reading my Arduino Uno 3 from the serial port. Mine is COM3 and that's what I've been using since I started the project.

When I try to upload even the simple "blink" code I get this.. I've restarted/reinstalled the software/reinstalled drivers/etc. and nothing works PLEASE HELP!

Hello!

I had this same problem while working on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I managed to fix the problem via running it under sudo. Try running it as administrator.

Hope this helps.

I was able to find another Arduino and it worked fine with my COM port.

I guess something happened with the R3 I have.. Does anyone else know of a solution or will I need to send it in to get it fixed?

PatGreen:
I had this same problem while working on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I managed to fix the problem via running it under sudo. Try running it as administrator.

This "fix" is specific to Linux and of no help to anyone on Windows.

60centenergy:
Mine is COM3 and that's what I've been using since I started the project.

If the board stops enumerating (and showing up as a serial port) it usually means the ATmega8u2 chip that does the usb to serial work has been damaged. Common reasons are: changing connections while powered or accidentally connecting 12V a pin or shorting something out.

Is the device showing up at all in Device Manager?