Digimesh on your XBee, anyone?

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone out there was playing with the new digimesh firmware for the XBee? I wanted to give it a go with my 2.4 "Series 1" modules.

I'm struggling a bit to make things work right now using API mode, since most of the examples seem to be geared to ZNet or Zigbee.

Here is something I've discovered about the ND (node discover) and DN (discover node) commands: They don't seem to work with only 2 nodes running!

Adding a 3rd node with the same VID/channel causes ND to list two nodes (since the node I'm using via X-CTU doesn't count), and DN works and sets the destination address as expected.

That's an hour of my life I won't get back.

Brad.

xbee series1 haven't mesh capability because haven't implemented the complete zigbee stack (just the 802.15.4 protocol)

in other words, you can't make a mesh with series1 (only), you'll need series2 or 2'5

anyway there's a trick in all this :wink:

while the maxstream developers were improving the capabilities of series1, they published a modem version that can be uploaded to your xbee series1 and use the mesh options with some restrictions (node and/or router number)

if you try to "download new versions" in the XCTU from the web you won't get it: they removed it from the source since it's a demo version (I suspect they realized that was a good point to start with series2)

the version of that modem gives you the option to upload this configurations to your xbee:
router AT
router API
coordinator AT
coordinator API

must be dowloaded from a .zip file that is really really hard to find

if it's what you was looking for, tell me and I'll send you

if it's what you was looking for, tell me and I'll send you

yorx-

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I'll send you a PM shortly.

xbee series1 haven't mesh capability because haven't implemented the complete zigbee stack (just the 802.15.4 protocol)

Actually, I'm talking about the new Digimesh firmware that was released in October - it re-adds Mesh support back for the Series 1 radios (900 and 2.4). Very cool, but the packet format is different enough that a newbie like me can get very confused.

Thanks,

Brad.

I've seen your PM but you'll have to wait for it... don't worry, only a couple of days! :stuck_out_tongue:

Until then, I'd like to know about your experience with Digimesh because it seems not to be ZigBee compatible (as you can read in the white paper Digi published about:

page4/Interoperability)

It shouldn't be very important (though Zigbee points to be the next Bluetooth) but, as any Arduino follower, I do hate propietary protocols >:(

I hope the firmware version I'll send you to be compatible with. I haven't tested it since I haven't anything Zigbee compliant.

Even more, it seems to be a way to "flash" my old Series1 to have Digimesh capabilities.

Seems not very sure :-? Working on it.

I've seen your PM but you'll have to wait for it... don't worry, only a couple of days!

yorx-

No problem, I'm certainly not in any hurry for the firmware - I've got a few more things to take care of first (like building an I2C EEPROM board).

It shouldn't be very important (though Zigbee points to be the next Bluetooth) but, as any Arduino follower, I do hate propietary protocols

I agree - This is the biggest problem I have with Digimesh - it's not open.

I haven't gotten very far with Digimesh yet (I finally got my API mode code passing packets now; they've tweaked the format of the TX/RX packets just enough to confuse a newbie like me) but it gives me what I wanted - mesh networking with Series 1 hardware.

So far, so good. It's certainly not compatible with any of the other firmware, so that's an issue as well.

I'm on vacation until next year so I've been writing code late into the night. I'll report back more on Digimesh in the next few days.

I think the only reason to chose Digimesh over the old Beta firmware is support - any bugs in the beta code will stay there.

I'm only going to be interested in networking with my own nodes, so even if the older firmware isn't compatible with anything else I should be fine.

Brad.

can you please post some code examples using digimash

Hey Brad,
I noticed your message because you also live in Salem, and my husband knows a Burleson here.
Since you are familiar with the area can you help? I have myself in over my head with an arduino project. I have a Duemilanove, thermal array sensor, relay board, wires, etc. and want to put them together to make a sensor that will turn on a small motor at 88 -98 degrees. Know anyone that can help me get this together without frying it?
Lynne Justino

Hey Yorx,

Can you please send me the zip file which upgrade s1 to s2 xbee pro digimesh?

melb

use X-CTU from Digi
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/utilities/40002637_c.exe

And Read page 10 of the documentation
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90001003_A.pdf