LOS ANGELES AREA? or SO CAL?

Looks like we have enough for a small group. Please pm me your email address so I can start emailing everyone and start scheduling something :slight_smile:

Are you all still meeting?
I'm really new too Ardunio, but I really want to learn this stuff.
I have a some what background to programming (Python, AS3)

I want to go! I'm looking for hobbies that match the type of stuff that I like.

Hit me up next time! PLEASE!

hi everyone
my friend just opened up a coffee shop in Koreatown LA
& they've got great drip coffee
& they're trying to make their space the hub for creatives to come
learn, discuss, discover and connect

i think you guys should hold monthly gatherings there!
i'm happy to help organize & host (:

and they also have an adjacent art gallery
so maybe you can work on projects to gether, showcase
so people can experience your artwork

please contact me!
rebeccatesiapark@gmail.com

If you are close to San Diego, we have a meetup group that is kicking off monthly meetings in January. To join and for details:

grantb5:
Machine Project is having a set of classes coming up in LA, but as I'm in central OC (Orange County), that's too much of a hike for me.

http://machineproject.com/archive/classwork/2011/08/02/introduction-to-microcontrollers-with-arduino-2/

I would be interested in just about anything in OC though.

GB

I'm in OC, too. Did you find anything, and if not, would you like to start something? I hear Fullerton has a great hackerspace, but I haven't checked it out yet. A small group to geek out with would be great.

~natalia.

interested as well but an hour drive from Oxnard is too much for me to make even if its once a week.

North OC?, Anaheim is anyone there??? to hear the cries in the Wilderness? an Arduino Group would be great.
Doc

I live in Moorpark, CA but work in San Fernando. I'd love to join an LA group if it ever gets up and running!!!

Hi all,
I'm in Eagle Rock (between Pasadena and Glendale), available weekends and most evenings after work. Still working on the basics and am very interested in sharing info, working on projects in a group setting. I've got a light seeking, servo moving project and a photo resistor triggering an led and sound playback project going right now.
Please send me a messege if you are interested.
Ian

If you guys are still meeting, I'd love to be a part of it...

I have been seriously looking into renting a building or warehouse around North Hollywood, Sherman Oaks (where I live), or possibly Burbank. If anybody is interested in helping start up a hacker space near there or already has a space, please contact me. I would love to build individual workbenches for people and eventually invest in some 3D Printers and some large machinery (Laser Cutter, Drill Press, Milling and Routing Machines. Any one who is interested in helping out please message me or email me at Christopher@geekstreetsolutions.com.

Hey everyone I'm actually thinking about opening an store in Los Angeles for electronics hobbyists and would like to get your thoughts on it.

Here's what I have planned so far:

Location: San Fernando Valley (North Hollywood or somewhere nearby) and online.

Products: Arduinos (original and compatible as well as shields/accessories), Raspberry Pis, general electrical components (resistors, capacitors, wires, etc, etc, etc the list can go on forever lol), sensors, tools), ICs (Attiny, 555s, etc), and pretty much everything else you need to build something with electricity running through it.

Extras: I plan to have a few work stations with ready to go computers and soldering equipment where hackers can start building knowing they have access to any item they might need as well as friendly help. I have even thought about sponsoring and hosting meetup.com group meet ups.

Since a store like this will require a hefty investment, I'm asking around to see if Arduino enthusiasts in the Los Angeles area would prefer shopping at a local store rather than ordering online and having to pay for shipping/wait a few days. I have visited a few RadioShacks and although they carry Arduinos, they only offer about 1-5 shields and sensors (depending on the location). I also plan on having very competitive prices (cheaper than RadioShack, Fry's Electronics and even some online stores).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mitomart, I shop at http://www.allelectronics.com/, located at 14928 Oxnard St. Van Nuys, CA 91411. I think making the shop more towards teaching would be more appealing, as most local stores sell products already. Your shop would be one of the few that have workshops and tools available.

mitomart:
Hey everyone I'm actually thinking about opening an store in Los Angeles for electronics hobbyists and would like to get your thoughts on it.

Here's what I have planned so far:

Location: San Fernando Valley (North Hollywood or somewhere nearby) and online.

Products: Arduinos (original and compatible as well as shields/accessories), Raspberry Pis, general electrical components (resistors, capacitors, wires, etc, etc, etc the list can go on forever lol), sensors, tools), ICs (Attiny, 555s, etc), and pretty much everything else you need to build something with electricity running through it.

Extras: I plan to have a few work stations with ready to go computers and soldering equipment where hackers can start building knowing they have access to any item they might need as well as friendly help. I have even thought about sponsoring and hosting meetup.com group meet ups.

Since a store like this will require a hefty investment, I'm asking around to see if Arduino enthusiasts in the Los Angeles area would prefer shopping at a local store rather than ordering online and having to pay for shipping/wait a few days. I have visited a few RadioShacks and although they carry Arduinos, they only offer about 1-5 shields and sensors (depending on the location). I also plan on having very competitive prices (cheaper than RadioShack, Fry's Electronics and even some online stores).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Carnyworld:
... start up a hacker space ...

FYI, There is a hacker space in Culver City. I haven't yet visited them, but they seem like a pretty active group.

Crash Space
10526 Venice Blvd, Culver City CA 90232

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/crashspace

Moderator edit: link corrected

pantaz:

Carnyworld:
... start up a hacker space ...

FYI, There is a hacker space in Culver City. I haven't yet visited them, but they seem like a pretty active group.

Crash Space
10526 Venice Blvd, Culver City CA 90232
http://blog.crashspace.org/
Redirecting to Google Groups

I visited Crash Space on the night they hosted an open house. I would go their every day except for the fact that it is that I don't drive (I find it odd as I am 19 years old) and they are located 15 miles away. I also have yet to visit Null Space Labs (http://032.la in Downtown LA. Until I have my license I have been buying in bulk at All Electronics in Van Nuys and working out of my garage. Also recently went to Hackaday Live (Recap: Hackaday’s First Live Event | Hackaday). Was anybody else on the forum there?

Just FYI:

The LA Arduino Enthusiasts Meetup group meets once a month (usually) in Santa Monica, the next meeting is actually tomorrow, Thursday October 30th, 2014.
For more info please see http://www.meetup.com/LA-Arduino/

I am actually one of those giving a talk tomorrow night... :wink:

Ralf

Anyone interested in joining our google little box challenge team located in socal. We are developing a SIC or GAN device switching architecture to make a small effecient inverter package. We have 5 unique ideas to start that will help us win the million dollars.

Most importantly we are going to give the prize money away to a non profit in Haiti for the development of a wind and solar power plant.

Who's in?

Hi Guys, my name is Rick Smith, I am a new convert to the Arduino World, and I would like to Thank You for making such amazing Technology available to the average Joe. We are organizing an Arduino Day Event here at my 23 acre Event Space and Film Ranch, in the Southern California, Mojave Desert area, during Arduino Day Celebration. I recently established a permanent, "Makerspace - Mojave" Community, as well.

You are Cordially Invited to Attend as a Guest, Artist, Speaker, Worker, Volunteer or, you are welcome to participate however you choose....

Looking Forward to an Epic Event...

your bestest pal,
Rick Smith
RRR Ranch
Mojave Desert Film and Event Space Rental

FYI: Here is the Event Notice...

"Arduino Day - Mojave" Event Notice #1

The "RRR Ranch" and "Makerspace - Mojave" Invite you to the First Annual "Arduino Day - Mojave" Event, March 27, 28 and 29. This will be a 3-Day Camping and Interactive Tech Festival Event, at our 23 acre Site. It doesn’t matter whether you are an Expert or a Newbie, an Engineer, a Designer, a Crafter or a Maker, Arduino Day is open to anyone who wants to celebrate Arduino, and all the things that have been done (or can be done!) with it. Admission is Free for the entire Event (does not include Parking, Paintball, Food or Drinks). Come hang out for the Weekend, and enjoy learning everything you ever wanted to know about Arduino...

The RRR Ranch is located in the Mojave Desert, near the the City of Mojave, home of the Mojave Spaceport. We are a small Desert Film and Event Rental Space, for small Eclectic Festivals, Events, Music Videos, Indy Film and Photo Shoots.

The Makerspace - Mojave's first Monthly Meeting will be held during the Festival, please come join us, and Support us with a Membership Pledge.

Currently on Site we have..
Hiking, Biking, Soccer, Volleyball, Tennis, Horseshoes, Darts, a Paintball Field, Risa Beach Club, an outdoor Movie Theater on Kona Beach, a "Paper Book" Library, 18' Sports Bar Dome serving Beer on Tap and Well Drinks, several remote Host Bars, including the 602 Bar (with a ice cold Keg on Tap), dotting the 20+ acre property, "Mon Frere's" Cajun Soul Food Stand on Kona Beach, serving delicious Food from Early Morning Breakfast to Late Night Cajun Catfish and 'taters. Plenty of Parking and Camping Space.

Coming Soon:
The Fusion Jazz Club at the Pyramid, the Paintball Field Upgrade, the "Atomic Cafe" a late night, early morning Coffee Shop, a new 30' Sports Bar Dome, (3) 30' Dome Lecture Rooms, Kid's Jumbo Swing Set and Climbing Dome to Olympic Beach.

Site Location:
13144 Munsey Road, Cantil, California, 93519 (Google Map)

Admission Tickets: - Free
Parking and Porto Fee - $5
Dates: - March 27, 28 and 29 2015

"Arduino Day - Mojave"
Arduino Day - Mojave, a quirkier, fun filled, technology driven, unconference Conference is about to Happen...

Open to the Public and fully Participant powered, "Arduino Day - Mojave" features a wild mix of Arduino User Groups, Makerspaces, Hackerspaces, Fablabs, Associations, Teachers, Pros, Newbies, Technologists, Scientists, Artists, and those with a Passion for Open Source, DYI Technology, set in the freewheeling backdrop of an Eclectic, Artist Desert Eco-Resort, with Beaches but no Ocean. Balmy Desert nights and days, to debate the finite comparisons of the Arduino to the Raspberry Pi, or discuss how Nano-Hybrid Thermo-resistors are better than Light-detecting Quadrupeds, and can help save the World, there is no more Magical Place than this...

...... THE DAILY SPEAKERS & PANELS .....

The "Daily Speaker" Event will take place at the Main Stage, and the "Daily Panel" will take place daily, at the 350-500 seat Auditorium, the Stage will be at the Pyramid. Located right off Speedway Blvd.

Daily Speaker: TBD
"Daily Panel" Friday Mar 27- "DYI Arduino"
Various Scientist, Writers, Filmmakers, and Tradesmen discuss the current View of the Future, and What it may look like.

"Daily Panel" SaturdayMar 28 - "The 5 States of Arduino"
What will be the Hot Markets, Jobs, and Materials in the Booming Private and Government Arduino Industry, Panel includes, TBD, and more

"Daily Panel" Sunday March 29 - "Arduino Mighty Girls"
An in-depth look at the Roles, and Future of the "Renaissance Women" in the Arduino World, in Tech Industry and Beyond.
Panel includes, TBD, and more

Facebook:
Arduino Day - Mojave

Makerspace - Mojave
https://www.facebook.com/groups/344631445740010/

RRR Ranch

Websites:
Arduino

Arduino Day
https://day.arduino.cc/#/

Don't Just Attend, bring a Friend, or a Group of Friends. I look forward to seeing you there...

Please Share... Thx...

your bestest pal,
Rick Smith
RRR Ranch
Mojave Desert Film and Event Space Rental

Redondo Beach here. born and raised in redondo but lived in miami for 11 years but had serious difficulty finding anyone into electronics stuff out there so returning back to redondo. Just saying hi and wondering who's out here.