ATmega1284P: End to End using 1.0 IDE

westfw:
You could try the hack where you remove the AVR chip from the duemilanove and use its serial driver to connect to the 1284...

Cant seem to get it to work with duemilanoves serial driver.
Connected Rx, Tx, Reset pins of 2 boards together. Cant seem upload to 1284P via the other board's serial driver :frowning:

How did you put a bootloader on the '1284?

"Connected Rx, Tx, Reset pins of 2 boards together. "
Grounds are connected also?
'328 is removed during this so it is not interfering?

How did you put a bootloader on the '1284?

"Connected Rx, Tx, Reset pins of 2 boards together. "
Grounds are connected also?
'328 is removed during this so it is not interfering?

Bootloaded with the clone board itself. Arduino as ISP tutorial. :slight_smile:

Yes. I removed the 328 from the board while uploading the program via the clone and Yes I have connected it to common power supplies (Vcc and Gnd are same in both boards) too...

The board I originally made must have developed a fault as I just couldn't upload a sketch although it would upload boot loader via studio using icsp header. Anyway I had designed a new board but not got round to building it. It has the crystal very close plus I've stuck a DS1307 RTC on the board. Anyway built new board, stuck chip in, selected upload boot loader which it did via IDE then uploaded sketch which worked perfectly first time. Built a second board for mmcpix and that one works perfectly too. No idea what was wrong with the old board, still can't find anything and it DID work.

Anyway just finished a 1284p -au into 328p-pu board for those times when you just wish atmel had made a 648p-pu or even a 1288p-pu what's wrong with them :slight_smile:

Okay, I created a PL for the '1284 duemilanove style board.
Left the USB/Serial adapter & wallwart as optional components.
Prices are from Dipmicro.com, some from Digikey or as noted.
Most are priced with 1-lot prices, which can drop a lot with qty purchases, even the bare board itself.

1284 Duemilanove PL.xlsx (12.7 KB)

I've got 3 ProMightys assembled and ready to program. :smiley:
I have a USBAP from Ebay with a Mega8 inboard, has anyone had luck with this programmer? if so what method was used? Thanks.

Sounds like this one.
http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_6&products_id=415

I have programmed lots of '1284's with it.

Add this to programmers.txt to use it:

usbasp.name=MDFLY
usbasp.protocol=usbasp

Based around this:
http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

Thanks for the info, I'll try my hand at boot loading them later this week.

theloon:

Please let me know which bootloader worked for you. I am wondering if some of my issues related to my TQFP 1284p have to do with the bootloader files out there that seem to be designed for the DIP version of the chip. For example, the pin assignments vary significantly from the DIP version, with additional pins available, etc.

In the past, I used the brewtroller IDE successfully. However, for some reason the current distribution lacks the bootloader files that are needed for the 1284p TQFP. Maniacbug, any interest in supporting the TQFP version as well?

Constantin:

theloon:

Please let me know which bootloader worked for you. I am wondering if some of my issues related to my TQFP 1284p have to do with the bootloader files out there that seem to be designed for the DIP version of the chip. For example, the pin assignments vary significantly from the DIP version, with additional pins available, etc.

In the past, I used the brewtroller IDE successfully. However, for some reason the current distribution lacks the bootloader files that are needed for the 1284p TQFP. Maniacbug, any interest in supporting the TQFP version as well?

I've just bought a 1284p-au to try, I have been using the 1284p with some success so here's to the SMD version. I want it for a project which I was going to use 1280 ICs for but I just don't need all the IO just the memory. Such a shame they don't do a 648p.

The SMD version, although it has more pins has pins with the same designations. What happens when you upload the DIP version's boot loader ?

If they are different I will have a look and if I can't suss it I will offer to make Maniac bug a 1284p-au board for him to sort it with :slight_smile:

The v4.5 optiboot bootloader uploads fine and the pins that I can access easily seem to work OK using sketches like AnalogIn. So it may very well work. I just note that the pin numbers are different from chip to chip and that the TQFP versions of the ships typically offer more input/output pins than the DIP versions.

Given how much more stable the 1.0 IDE is, I am inclined to continue to use it rather than try and get the 022 version running again (for some reason, the 022 serial monitor is very flaky by comparison and frequently locks up the IDE...)

Later today I hope to hook up a logic analyzer to RX1 and TX1 to see if the two are behaving as intended. FWIW, I am in the throes of trying to implement RS485 connections between chips and my success thus far can only be described as terrible. I really wanted to implement RS485 because of its many merits vis-a-vis serial for Arduino-Arduino connections but I may just lower my sights and go with straight Serial-Serial connections instead.

I just note that the pin numbers are different

Bootloaders SHOULD be OK. The serial port is still the serial port.

Note however, that there's quite a lot of variation with the "onboard LED" that's supposed to blink when the bootloader starts. Even with the DIP, different boards connect the (if any) different places (Sanguino, Mighty, and Bobuino, are all different.) So you can have a bootloader that is probably working, and not see the comforting blinks...

westfw:

I just note that the pin numbers are different

Bootloaders SHOULD be OK. The serial port is still the serial port.

Note however, that there's quite a lot of variation with the "onboard LED" that's supposed to blink when the bootloader starts. Even with the DIP, different boards connect the (if any) different places (Sanguino, Mighty, and Bobuino, are all different.) So you can have a bootloader that is probably working, and not see the comforting blinks...

That doesn't worry me at all I had some off cuts of board and made a pile of data bus checkers :slight_smile: Basically a board about 1"x2" with a 90 degree 8 way pin header on one end and a 2 pin header on the other. Each pin on the header goes through an SMD 1K resistor then an SMD LED and then all go to the 2 pin header which are connected together so I can plug it into 8 ports with a flying GND lead and test all 8 ports at the same time. By plugging in multiple boards and daisy chaining the GND pins I can check all 32 outputs of a 1284p etc quite easily...... Always like finding uses for offcuts.

3 in the hand but no joy, I tried a PM to Manicbug 2 days ago but no reply, even offered him a board for his troubles. He must be away or busy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Got a reply from Manicbug, I'll send him out a ProMighty tomorrow hopefully we'll get the TQFN package boot loaded.

theloon:
Got a reply from Manicbug, I'll send him out a ProMighty tomorrow hopefully we'll get the TQFN package boot loaded.

Might have to have a play too. I take it it is just wired pin to pin with clock, clock caps, decoupling cap and reset resistor.

FWIW, my TQFP 1284P is working... blinking on demand, putting out serial0 messages, etc. I believe I used the Bahbots descriptor file (though with a different clock speed of 16MHz, not 18.x MHz) and the hex file from Mr. Sproul.

I am contemplating a loop-back test with Serial1 to see if it's behaving.

cowasaki:

theloon:

Might have to have a play too. I take it it is just wired pin to pin with clock, clock caps, decoupling cap and reset resistor.

Yep just standard Arduino stuff except for LED is on pin B1 as not to take up a PWM pin.
My new design has reusable break off tabs for boot loader adapter and FTDI at opposite ends.

Constantin:
FWIW, my TQFP 1284P is working... blinking on demand, putting out serial0 messages, etc. I believe I used the Bahbots descriptor file (though with a different clock speed of 16MHz, not 18.x MHz) and the hex file from Mr. Sproul.

I am contemplating a loop-back test with Serial1 to see if it's behaving.

Could you put something together for others here to try out?

theloon:

cowasaki:

theloon:

Yep just standard Arduino stuff except for LED is on pin B1 as not to take up a PWM pin.
My new design has reusable break off tabs for boot loader adapter and FTDI at opposite ends.

It'll be the same as one of the boards I've designed. It pushes into a 28 pin socket to replace a 328p and is electrically and program compatible, all you do is change the board name :slight_smile:

I tried making it today but it is just toooooo intricate with such tiny tracks so going to have to send it out.