serial over ethernet?

OK I"m trying to find a simple way to transmit information sensor data back and forth over ethernet without creating a web page. I've looking into TCP, UPD, & Telnetting. Right now telnet works great for what I'm trying to do. With the Arduino running a Telnet server the libraries takes up a lot of program space and I don't have enough room then do everything with the sensors I want to control with the arduino. Is there an easier way to get 2 way communication preferably with feedback over ethernet on the Arduino that doesn't take up a large portion of the Arduino program space? Basically I'm trying to do 2 way secure socketing.

It might be worth taking a look at the Bitlash web server example. It allows both telnet and browser access.

The code is in the examples that ship with bitlash, and online at github here:

Good luck with your project,

-br

Edit: There are telnet-only examples, too, in the distro.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look. Telnet is actually how I'm doing it now. Looking for something simpler.

secure

... and that killed it for the Arduino.

There just isn't enough horsepower for TLS, SSH, etc.

-j

The reason your sketch generates such a large binary is simply that the protocols you are using are quite "fat. If you just want to read a stream of sensor data then raw UDP is a much better and faster way to do it.

Perhaps a more detailed explanation would provide more guidance of help. I agree that "secure" as in encrypted is rather out of the question on say an Uno or a Leonaro.

Tere have been several Arduino compatible 32 bit ARM Cortex boards released lately that may be able to do that. The Teensy 3 might be a candidate or the Galago.