Secret vehicle compartment opened by using stock button combination

Hi all

Let me preface myself by stating that I have no intention of creating a 'car trap' that is used to smuggle anything illegal. I am simply fascinated by secret compartments, and was inspired by a recent WIRED article that discussed them (they're not illegal in Australia by the way - which is where I am ). I wouldn't mind using it to hide valuables in my car though when I park it in the city though!

Over the next few months (i'm a busy boy), I will be documenting my progress in building a secret compartment in a car that can be operated by pressing a combination/sequence of -stock- buttons (i.e. defroster, power windows etc), which would then in turn activate a servo to lock/unlock the compartment.

Today's post is identifying the section of the vehicle in which the compartment will be installed. I noticed that there seems to be a nice hollow section sitting right below the 'coin compartment/handle' in the rear passenger doors. As you can see in the graphic below, the little holder can actually be removed (along with the whole door card), and I've marked up (very crudely) where I intend for the compartment to be located.

I plan to have a servo slide a bolt through the top of the compartment, that prevents it from being lifted up. I will also cut back the torx screws and glue then back in the holes to give the appearance that only a little stock tray is sitting in the door.

1. Rear door card taken completely out, so you can see it from above

(link to malicious content removed)

1. Schematic of my plans for the compartment

1. Space available in rear door

Any comments are most welcome! More to come, once I have worked out the componentry etc!

Interesting idea. It reminds me of when the washing machine repairman comes around and hits a weird combination of water-level, temperature, program-cycle buttons to put the machine into "service mode". You'd never guess them, and it saves having another special button (which the consumer would then press, of course).

Cheers :slight_smile:
I've always found secret 'features' interesting - apparently they exist on coke machines etc as well.
I would be the guy to put the machine into service mode hehe :slight_smile:

Hello,

scottiejmurray:
they're not illegal in Australia by the way - which is where I am

Are there places where it is illegal?

building a secret compartment in a car that can be operated by pressing a combination/sequence of -stock- buttons

You may be able to garner the necessary data through a single CANBUS connection.

I noticed that there seems to be a nice hollow section sitting right below the 'coin compartment/handle' in the rear passenger doors.

If possible, the driver's side is a better choice. Side impacts on the driver's side are less likely and less severe. Wouldn't want your goodies to get crushed.

No-one wants their goodies crushed.

I happened to read that article the other day, quite interesting.

No technical details, but from the description, as CB says, it pretty much points to a CANBUS tap. I was surprised at how hard they threw the book at the guy that built the traps. He got twice the sentence that the drug dealers did. It would have been hard to argue that he was innocent, but I think they got it backwards.

@scottiejmurray, you are going to have to find another place to host the images...

Warning.png

You can add attachments to posts, including images:

Once that thin edge of the wedge goes in the people given the authority to administer at law always take it to the excess.
I don't say it didn't happen in the past but it is certainly far more prevalent now.

I would hope readers and wowsers take note here that you get what you deserve.
If you allow the thin edge in , someone will use it in a way that was not really intended

Watch yourself when you say " There should be a law against this!"

On a lighter note I have been making secret compartments in boxes for years after starting with one of those old chinese puzzle boxes where pieces slid in places and ways you just did not expect.

Where are they now?

I like your project and will follow along
Thanks for posting

Well its a long read but its another example of taking the law too far and will be appealed . So it will be deeply scrutinised .
The builders knowledge of what it will be used for is the central theme .

A common hacker refrain is that technology is always morally neutral. The culture’s libertarian ethos holds that creators shouldn’t be faulted if someone uses their gadget or hunk of code to cause harm; the people who build things are under no obligation to meddle in the affairs of the adults who consume their wares.

But Alfred Anaya’s case makes clear that the government rejects that permissive worldview. The technically savvy are on notice that they must be very careful about whom they deal with, since calculated ignorance of illegal activity is not an acceptable excuse. But at what point does a failure to be nosy edge into criminal conduct? In light of what happened to Anaya, that question is nearly impossible to answer.

“What’s troubling a lot of people is that this conviction seems to impose a new sort of liability on people that create state-of-the-art technology,” says Branden Bell, an attorney in Olathe, Kansas, who is handling Anaya’s appeal. “The logic goes that because he suspected his customers of doing something, he had a duty to ask. But that is a duty that is written nowhere in the law.”

tytower:
Well its a long read but its another example of taking the law too far and will be appealed . So it will be deeply scrutinised .
The builders knowledge of what it will be used for is the central theme .

The thing is, his only possible "knowledge" was the fact that he saw and watched a set of his customers moving a large amount of cash from one vehicle to another. Somehow, we have gotten this idea in our heads that if somebody has a large amount of cash with them, that must mean they are doing something or have done something criminal. Because, you know, good and honest people only deal with the banking system and have accounts and such; you know, like Enron, and all those banks out there that screwed people out of their mortgages and helped to cause this whole financial meltdown crisis we are in - such upstanding fellows, ya know!

That was really all he witnessed. Why should he have to make the leap of logic that says "Hey, these guys have a lot of money, they must be criminals because they have a ton of cash with them - only criminals carry cash"?

So I guess - be careful if you carry a lot of cash with you then? Well - yes; more than a few people have had their cash stolen by the cops because they were planning to pay $50K or something for a couple of vehicles across state lines, and they got pulled over, and the cop went "DERP! That cash must be drug money - giveittomenow!" - and bam! No recourse. I tend to wonder where that line is - at what point is it that you can have "too much cash" (you know, legal tender, that can be used to pay all debts, etc)?

$100.00? $1000.00? $10,000.00?

Actually, that last amount is about it - because if you try to deposit that amount (or transfer such amounts) at least here in America - there's a whole process you have to wait through, so they can make sure it isn't a drug money transaction or something else nefarious. Now - if it were $9,999.00 - it would probably go right on through, but who really knows in our lovely post 9/11 OMGTERRORISTS!!!1111!!!eleventy! world... So I imagine they would confiscate your 10Gs of money if they found it on you - and especially if it were "hidden" in a lock-box or elsewhere in your car.

Now - let's suppose this scenario, which may hit a bit closer to home:

You are approached by a person who offers you $10,000.00 to build him a UAV using Ardupilot as the base. Should you take on the project, if:

1. He is a clean-shaven white man in a business suit...?
  2. He is a bearded white man carrying a bible ranting about the end-times...?
  3. She is a woman wearing a greenpeace t-shirt and wearing a ton of beads, smelling of pachoulli and has dreads...?
  4. He is a man wearing a turban...?

Personally, I don't know about you, but I bet guy #1 is up to no good...but we all know who they'd arrest you for, especially if it were a sting operation or something - simply because you:

1. Didn't see he was a good businessman who wanted to cheaply map his real-estate holdings.
  2. Didn't realize he was a god-fearing gentleman who only wanted to make a documentary about being an angel.
  3. Didn't realize that she was actually going to save the dolphins, even if it meant shutting down SeaWorld to do it.
  4. Didn't realize this guy was going to blow up a local Vineyard congregation or something.

In other words - you couldn't read any of their minds - and so if you take that money (unless it's from the first or second guy I guess) - you are just as guilty for not following the other sheeple of this great nation of ours heeding that inner voice inside of you that says god is great being a good christian citizen instead of a filthy atheist seeing that these people are going to do wrong with your object, and that you need to go to jail...just because.

...damn this world seems so messed up at times...

Amazingly - yes, they just made them illegal in Ohio!

The front doors don't have that nice space underneath the coin holder unfortunately :frowning: I won't be storing anything too special in there anyway!

By the way - after reading the other posts, just wanted to say how I too am appalled by the judgement against the maker of the traps in the wired article as a 'co-conspirator' - how ridiculous. I hope the poor guy gets out of jail soon :frowning:

cr0sh:
Actually, that last amount is about it - because if you try to deposit that amount (or transfer such amounts) at least here in America - there's a whole process you have to wait through, so they can make sure it isn't a drug money transaction or something else nefarious. Now - if it were $9,999.00 - it would probably go right on through, but who really knows in our lovely post 9/11 OMGTERRORISTS!!!1111!!!eleventy! world... So I imagine they would confiscate your 10Gs of money if they found it on you - and especially if it were "hidden" in a lock-box or elsewhere in your car.

I'm stunned . Didn't think they would allow this to get passed in the States.
In Australia it used to be $10,000 for a few years but now its been reduced to $5000. Thats the way they do it .
I went to get $1000 from the Post Office by way of Money Order and had to supply my drivers licence and place of residence which they typed into their computer . Makes you think.

scottiejmurray- hope you will ignore this aside and let us know how it goes with pictures . A previous post reminded you- you can post your pictures directly on to this site! When all else becomes doubtful a post hole digger and a length of plastic pipe with ends makes the best safe.

tytower:

cr0sh:

I'm stunned . Didn't think they would allow this to get passed in the States.
In Australia it used to be $10,000 for a few years but now its been reduced to $5000. Thats the way they do it .
I went to get $1000 from the Post Office by way of Money Order and had to supply my drivers licence and place of residence which they typed into their computer . Makes you think.

scottiejmurray- hope you will ignore this aside and let us know how it goes with pictures . A previous post reminded you- you can post your pictures directly on to this site! When all else becomes doubtful a post hole digger and a length of plastic pipe with ends makes the best safe.

I will indeed continue to update the thread with pictures and commentary as I make my way through it! I'm glad to see interest in it :slight_smile:

Hi Jack - do you have any idea about how you would actually go about tapping into the CANBUS for this purpose? I know there is an interface you can buy for arduino, but I have no idea from there haha.

scottiejmurray:

[quote author=Jack Christensen link=topic=158503.msg1187496#msg1187496 date=1365165101]
I happened to read that article the other day, quite interesting.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/03/alfred-anaya/

No technical details, but from the description, as CB says, it pretty much points to a CANBUS tap. I was surprised at how hard they threw the book at the guy that built the traps. He got twice the sentence that the drug dealers did. It would have been hard to argue that he was innocent, but I think they got it backwards.

Hi Jack - do you have any idea about how you would actually go about tapping into the CANBUS for this purpose? I know there is an interface you can buy for arduino, but I have no idea from there haha.
[/quote]

Sorry have never done anything in that area.