9V in 5V arduino OUTPUT!!!

Today after some tests I mistakenly conected a 9V battery to the 5V OUTPUT on my arduino uno r3 (by 10 or 20 seconds) and for my suprise it continued to work without any problems.

How is this possible???

Thanks for the replys

I guess you could file a bug report to the Arduino people saying that your device didn't immediately catch fire like it was supposed to.

If you have a ladder rated for 500 pounds, it might not collapse with 900 pounds on it... But, it's always safe at 500 pounds.

Where I work, we make a board that runs off of 5V. There is about 20 chips on it, all rated for 5V. A few times I've accidently connected 12V to the power input. Usually the RAM chip will fry, and sometimes the CPU will fry. But the other chips usually survive.

Fortunately, I don’t have any experience with over-voltage on the Arduino! ... Yet.

It also helps that those wimpy 9 volt batteries have poor current capacity, but consider yourself lucky and try not to make a habit of doing that.

Lefty

thanks for the replies, I will try not to do it again.

So you are filing a complaint that it is still working?

Personal guilt sometimes seeks punishment and then forgiveness. :wink:

No, I just wanted to know if this could damage my arduino and I found a website saying that it would be damaged if you connect 5V< into the 5V output
so I decided to post it in the arduino forum to learn more about it.

stonent:
I guess you could file a bug report to the Arduino people saying that your device didn't immediately catch fire like it was supposed to.

lol

pedroply:
No, I just wanted to know if this could damage my arduino and I found a website saying that it would be damaged if you connect 5V< into the 5V output
so I decided to post it in the arduino forum to learn more about it.

Just teasing you. :slight_smile: