Never programmed before. Can Arduino be a hobby?

Welcome to the forum, pman555.

While it isn't enforced, it is nice if at some point you set in your profile where you are located at (you don't have to give GPS coords; just your city and country, or anything else approximate). This is so that in the future, if we want to tell you where to pick up some parts or something, we can reccommend where to go better.

It always stinks to tell someone to pick up something from some place, and then find out they live on the other side of the world or something!

Starting out, the first things you will really want are a multimeter (a small cheapo "harbor freight" style chinese brand will be OK) and a breadboard (the bigger, the better - if you can afford one of those 30 dollar 1000+ hole breadboard, get one - if you can afford two, even better! Even so, look to get some of the smaller ones as well).

Also, be sure to get some jumpers; if you're cheap like me (or you can't afford pre-made jumpers), get about a 6 foot length of 24 pair solid-conductor phone cable, then use a pair of metal shears to cut it into foot long lengths. Strip off the outer jacket, and you'll be left with a bunch of foot long pieces of wire in different colors (which you can then cut into small lengths and/or strip the ends off for jumpers). Another option (though not as good - not as many colors) is old solid-core cat5 cable.

Also, I second Imahilus's suggestion of robotics: There's no other subject that I can think of that brings together so many disparate skill sets than robotics. You can start small and work your way up fairly easily, and depending on how deep you go with your research, you can easily start treading on the meanings of life and intelligence.

Robotics, looked at from the idea of creating life from non-living matter, has been a pursuit of mankind since (likely) pre-history; no other pursuit, other than maybe flight or "eternal life", have been similar in the level of persistant pursuit by mankind over the centuries.

To be a part of this pursuit is, according to some, to be a part of the next leap forward in human evolution.

Plus its fun!

;D