Making a small GSM

I want to make my own GSM network

The idea is that an Arduino will connect to my LAN network and have a CELLULAR SHIELD to connect to a mobile and use the internet from the LAN.

Is this possible?

I saw some things in a shop that enables your Arduino to get text messages from GSM.

If anyone knows anything or has made this work please share.

Jack,

I just saw this video

What is it exactly that you want it to do?

having an arduino that connects the the internet or having a cellphone that uses the Arduino to surf the web?

I want to be able to host a GSM network, connect my mobile device to it. And connect to the internet.

I believe you will have to pay many hundreds of million euros to get GSM licensee and be allowed to make GSM network :slight_smile:

Tsvetan

I think that what you want is called a picocell or femtocell. It acts as a tiny cell tower. I don't know if they are available for GSM networks. I expect so since AT&T uses GSM and one of the ways they mitigated their spotty coverage was to sell people a picocell.

The opposite is a 'gateway' which connects a land-line telephone to the GSM network as if it were a mobile phone.

The GSM/GPRS modules like the one in the video lets your Arduino act as a cellphone. It was making a call through the GSM network to the phone and sending an SMS through the GSM network to the phone. Both the module and the phone required active GSM accounts.

Well the answer is no you can't, but you can do something else. XD

Maybe you can use bluetooth and arduino with bluetooth, but I guess you would be better of using wifi and a wifi capable cellphone