Conceptal Question

Dear All,

I am thinking of upgrading what I had done previously on home automation. The is a conceptal question whether this can be done or how can it be done.

I had a Android tablet that is connected to my home WiFi through my wireless router. My Router is connected to my Arduino through the Ethernet Shield and had a Zigbee Shield on it to command my Zigbee controlled device that I DIY.

I am thinking of building an apps for my Android tablet that can send strings command to my arduino which in turn convert it into my Zigbee command to activated it. Finally any Android tablet or phone with this apps can control my home

My question is

1. In this case, is the Arduino a Client or Server?
  2. If Arduino is a server, is it possible for it not to host any webpages and it will just process the string command send throught its IP address. e.g. htt://192.168.1.177?Z1L1ON
  3. In this case how can the Android talk to my Arduino throught the IP address?

If I were to learn Android Apps programming for it to communication through the WiFi, where can I start? Any title to recommend? What should the topics be? Thanks a lot for all your time and contribution. Have a nice day

1. In this case, is the Arduino a Client or Server?

A client makes GET requests. A server responds to GET requests. Which is the Arduino to be doing?

It looks to me like it needs to be a server, so clients (like a web browser on the PC or the phone) can make requests of it.

1. If Arduino is a server, is it possible for it not to host any webpages and it will just process the string command send throught its IP address. e.g. htt://192.168.1.177?Z1L1ON

Yes, but wouldn't it be better to serve up a small page - just a message, really, like "Success" or "What were you thinking?"?

1. In this case how can the Android talk to my Arduino throught the IP address?

The Arduino will have an IP address. Enter http://[:port} in the browser, and a GET request is made.

If the Android supports making direct GET requests, no browser is needed. But, if it supports running a browser, like an iPhone does, then there is no reason to program the Android at all.

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot. The purpose of building the apps is two. First is to learn Android programming and secondly I hope to design a really nice apps and UI with it. Thanks a lot