Silkscreen and Itead pcb service

Recently I got back some pcbs designed in Eagle 6.2 from Iteadsudio. They were very good quality, very well done overall, I think. But the silkscreening didn't come out as in in my Eagle _tsilk layer (layer 121). Instead, I got some silkscreening that looks like it was automaticaly generated from the tplace (layer 21) and tnames (layer 25) layers.

Now, I appreciate you get back just what you send them in the gerber files, so I gather the "ITEADstudio_CAM for Eagle6.x.cam" script produced the top silkscreen .GTS file deliberately from these layers, rather than from layer 121. I hadn't checked the output gerber files from the script before sending them off, so it didn't occur to me my lovingly crafted layer 121 silkscreen would be ignored.

If I substitute my custom silkscreen gerber file and then that off instead if the Itead script generated one, should that be OK? Anyone already doing this? I'm sure I can't be the only one who wants their own silkscreening rather than some generic auto-generated stuff?

Strikes me as odd I've never seen mention of this elsewhere... or is everyone else actually getting their silksreens as expected?

Personally I put all of my silk screen on the layers used by the cam job, instead of modifying the cam job. The marks at that are "auto" generated that I don't want, I delete. There's no reason you couldn't modify the cam job to include the layers you prefer.

It's always a good idea to run your Gerber files through a generator to see what the board house sees. There are a number of online tools like: http://www.pcbvisualizer.com/.

Thanks for the pointers, James. I tweaked a line in the .cam file, and tested the output on a gerber visualizer. I think it's all good to go now. Cheers!

Hello pico.
I'm also choose Itead for my first Pcb manufacter but the fact is I'm still waiting for them for about 2 mounths ! :~
I already change some email messages with them, and they had reassemble it and dispatch it again.
How was your deliver time?

HugoPT:
How was your deliver time?

About as expected -- I opted for the cheap airmail service, and it took between 3-4 weeks from order time to delivery (I think -- I'd have to check to be sure).

What I fail to see is, If you sent them cam files why didn't they use all of them. A PC house "Usually" loads the whole set of drawings sent... At least for a look and that is the way it's always worked for me from 1989 to 2008 in Southern California.

Bob

iTead provides a CAM file to use. Looking at their silkscreen tabs, they specifically turn on the tNames/bNames layers. I turn them off because I don't want those on my silk screen, and any library you use will have information on those layers. So the first thing I did was turn those layers off in their CAM file, and re-saved the file. Done. I put all of my own silk screening on the tPlace/bPlace layers so I make sure those are always turned on (by default, their CAM file turns those on.)

Docedison:
What I fail to see is, If you sent them cam files why didn't they use all of them.

They did. I just didn't realise the .GTO file that their cam file generated ignored the _tsilk layer in Eagle, and used tplace and tname instead. At James' advice, I've since modified the cam file to use _tslik instead, and now all is (or should be) well.

This is VERY bad news.

Several people here have been touting the Iteadstudio service, but unreliable delivery is
really really really bad news.

Advanced Circuits in Denver Colorado also has a free service for checking Gerber files. I used it
a couple of years ago, and it gave me back pdf files of what the board layers actually look like.
Their proto service is not nearly as cheap as others.

I see they also have free PCB software, but I've not used it.

If I substitute my custom silkscreen gerber file and then that off instead if the Itead script generated one, should that be OK?

Yes; they silkscreen whatever you send them a Gerber for. Just make sure the Gerber is what you actually want silkscreened :slight_smile:

oric_dan(333):
Several people here have been touting the Iteadstudio service, but unreliable delivery is
really really really bad news.

I don't hear unreliable delivery. I hear ITead sending him exactly the boards he sent them files for. He used a script to generate those files without understanding the inputs to that script. Easy mistake to make the first time, and easily corrected once it's hurt you once.

Personally, I edit the CAM file to include the layers I want for the silk screen. I like to have component values included, for example. Works fine for me. The CAM processor files are really quite easy to work with in Eagle -- as long as you know that that's what you're doing (and need to do.)

That's defending ITead -- they are affordable, and I find them easy to work with. However, if you don't pay the $28 for DHL, shipping is slow, and the boards, while functional, and not top of the line quality. If you want high-quality boards, still at a hobbyist-friendly price, use http://oshpark.com/ (dorkbotpdx/laen.)

I don't hear unreliable delivery.

Ok, my misunderstanding.

I too wouldnt say unreliable...

I think is VERY reliable.. (takes long every time) LOL..

it always takes around 3-4 weeks.. if they are not back-up due to being closed for a holiday or anything.

they also post what files they want/use for their gerber needs:

Gerber file requirement: (The following layers are needed)

Top layer: pcbname.GTL

Bottom layer: pcbname.GBL

Solder Stop Mask top: pcbname.GTS

Solder Stop Mask Bottompcbname.GBS

Silk Top: pcbname.GTO

Silk Bottom: pcbname.GBO

NC Drill: pcbname.TXT

Just use a gerber preview app to make sure your .GTO/.GBO files are what YOU expect them to be.

I have use viewplot before to look at my gerber files before sending.