Go Down

Topic: Arduino Lightsaber for/with LED string blade (Read 91685 times) previous topic - next topic

JakeSoft

hi everyone, quick question.  i've got my saber almost finished, but cant upload the code into the board.  getting the failed to sync message.  i've tried all the usual solutions.  different usb cable/port, different computer, checked all my soldering, triple checked all my settings, etc... just no luck.  any advice???  thank you!
What Arduino board are you using?

Some common issues include ensuring that you have the right board (and processor speed) selected in the Arduino IDE and making sure you have the correct com port selected.

AardvarkSagus

I am trying something probably very stupid. I have a RGB illuminated switch that I'd like to use with my DIYino board, neopixel blade, and LSOS, ideally having the switch match the selected blade color. I know using a single neopixel would be a smarter move as a matching accent LED, but I don't have another place on my hilt that I'd like to put an accent LED.

I see in the Config.h file a place where I can define MULTICOLOR_ACCENT_LED, but as far as I can tell, there is nowhere in the entirety of the rest of the code where that is used. Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck just picking the color of my LED during construction, and sticking with it? If I can, what pins should I connect it to? I'd love to still use blade power-off feature with the built in MOSFETs on the DIYino, but if I need to repurpose the PWM digital pins, I have another beefier MOSFET I can use to kill power to the neopixels.

Feel free to educate me on how I'm being an idiot and not understanding what I'm doing. I'd rather learn than think I'm right.

Protonerd

I am trying something probably very stupid. I have a RGB illuminated switch that I'd like to use with my DIYino board, neopixel blade, and LSOS, ideally having the switch match the selected blade color. I know using a single neopixel would be a smarter move as a matching accent LED, but I don't have another place on my hilt that I'd like to put an accent LED.

I see in the Config.h file a place where I can define MULTICOLOR_ACCENT_LED, but as far as I can tell, there is nowhere in the entirety of the rest of the code where that is used. Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck just picking the color of my LED during construction, and sticking with it? If I can, what pins should I connect it to? I'd love to still use blade power-off feature with the built in MOSFETs on the DIYino, but if I need to repurpose the PWM digital pins, I have another beefier MOSFET I can use to kill power to the neopixels.

Feel free to educate me on how I'm being an idiot and not understanding what I'm doing. I'd rather learn than think I'm right.
It might need some consideration, but as the used voltages are roughly the same for high power and regular RGB LEDs, what I've done one time was to simply connect the illumination regular 5mm RGB LED parallel (red to red, blue to blue, you get the idea) to the Star LED module illuminating the blade. Easiest, guaranteed to have matching colors.

padawan

Wow! I love seeing Star Wars projects in the forum and it's giving me some crazy ideas for my own future projects ! I just hope I can get to a level to make something like a lightsaber in less than 100 years!
-p.

DJWing79

Has anyone tried to code LSOS to use the Adafruit Pixie instead of the Luxeon style HP-LED? I ran a generic code for the pixie once I had the focusing lense on and the blade over it and it's bright  enough for a replacement and has built-in resistors making wiring easier to do.

Protonerd

I'm pretty sure it would be simple to update the open source saber codes to support the pixie. For that the right trigger would be someone showing off a blade, best to compare it against one of the more popular RGB LED types like Cree. If the brightness is comparable, I expect that the interest will be there to warrant a code update.

I do not have a pixie, so I cannot experiment with it. But if I saw some pics showing a blade against a reference one, I might decide to update FX-SaberOS to support it.

Therefore Damien, send the pics :) !

jbkuma

If you look at some of my LightSaberOS code I used an RGB Cree with a WS2811 chip.  The only really imporant change was that I simply made the first pixel represent the blaster block effect.  I also made the ignition sequence fade up and down which affected the whole blade, and the meter effect for the menus lit the first pixel in accordance with the level. 

The main reason I really did this was really for illuminated blade plugs.

Protonerd

If you look at some of my LightSaberOS code I used an RGB Cree with a WS2811 chip.  The only really imporant change was that I simply made the first pixel represent the blaster block effect.  I also made the ignition sequence fade up and down which affected the whole blade, and the meter effect for the menus lit the first pixel in accordance with the level. 

The main reason I really did this was really for illuminated blade plugs.
Is it possible to resuse the neopixel lib to drive these LEDs? If yes, that would be great, as no need to use another API.

jbkuma

Is it possible to resuse the neopixel lib to drive these LEDs? If yes, that would be great, as no need to use another API.
It does require transistors, but even my RGB only sabers are really pixel sabers.  My first saber was made this way because I was using a lot of pixels for accents and it was just the easiest way to keep everything in sync.  That saber uses a Nano Biscotte with a Pro Mini companion board.  Since I designed it to be modular I've debated between making a second Arduino based core, or just gutting it and making it a DIYino based saber (and possibly pixel blade capable).

I have played with designs for a cheap and easy PCB that can be installed inside the HP LED heatsink. It isn't that complicated but I haven't ever made my own PCB and got busy so I lost interest and forgot about it. (I'm pretty sure I emailed you some ideas about this)

DJWing79

The main problem I'm running into is that the Pixie Library requires SoftwareSerial but they it conflicts with the DFPlayer....the designed of the pixie said is someone was to write the firmware for the Pixie and update it to communicate at 400khz then it should be able to use the WS2812 library. But I have no clue how to do that....any volunteers? Proto...if you're willing to try it, I will buy you a Pixie and have it shipped to you.

Protonerd

Nice offer, but currently I'm working on a different project. But I thought you can use multiple instances of the SoftwareSerial as long as the 2 pins used are different and the Prime has still quite many pins to spare. Nevertheless I might just buy a Pixie myself, I anyway have to replenish my Flora stocks (single neopixles, I love them!)

DJWing79

I don't know how to make that work, I tried it and nothing happened.

SkyWolker

Hi everyone!) People, I have problems ... decode, please, the circuit .. I do not know how to connect the LEDs.
I understand correctly?(https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3eGrROZR0EJNGs2c3VHSnNaX0U)

Protonerd

Hi everyone!) People, I have problems ... decode, please, the circuit .. I do not know how to connect the LEDs.
I understand correctly?(https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3eGrROZR0EJNGs2c3VHSnNaX0U)

Did you look into either the Stardust or the Prime manuals? They both have full wiring diagrams for whatever lightning you wish to use.
https://github.com/Protonerd/DIYino/blob/master/DIYino_Stardust_v2_User_Manual_v1.pdf

SkyWolker

Did you look into either the Stardust or the Prime manuals?
I do not have DIYino board. I collect according to this scheme.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3eGrROZR0EJYlNiZmp3TzNlXzQ

Go Up