The Audio Post

Check this out, front page news here today and the first time I have heard of this -

http://www.7daysindubai.com/New-audio-high-download-drug-experts-worried/story-16098059-detail/story.html

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

DuaneB:
Every forum has one... So what is everyone listening to ?

Got this on the radio driving home from work. Not sure how new it is, but it's a good track.

DuaneB:
Check this out, front page news here today and the first time I have heard of this -

http://www.7daysindubai.com/New-audio-high-download-drug-experts-worried/story-16098059-detail/story.html
://rcarduino.blogspot.com]rcarduino.blogspot.com[/url]

Not surprising. This goes right along with the brainwave entrainment stuff I first saw some years ago. LED glasses, for inducing ... I think it was Alpha waves. How do you feel when you listen to something like the hearbeats in Dark Side of the Moon.

fkeel:
here's my take on theremin: Arduino Forum

I like that. The distance sensor is a cool idea.

I was pondering a steel string on dowel, or maybe even getting fancy with a narrow fretboard, and somehow sensing the position of a finger on the string. With frets, maybe resistors tying the frets to an analog pin? I suppose with the right sort of wire, one could read the resistance of the wire directly, using anything conductive as a slide.

OK, this is cool. I had the idea in my head already that a theremin functioned using capacitance. A bit more reading, and I'm finding various beat frequency oscillator circuits, and this theremin on an Arduino.

Hi,

Just discovered that youtube is a much better way of discovering new/old music than itunes and its 'genius'.

Just listening to some Emerson, Lake and Palmer, (Tarkus) its not where I expected to end up but enjoying it anyway.

Duane B

I've got a Soundcloud page where I post my music.

I mostly use a hardware setup, which includes my homemade Arduino MIDI synth!

One of my best songs, IMO:
http://soundcloud.com/beefinator-2/sabotage-fixed-mix-hardware
The arduino sampled through various effects makes every synth sound in the song.

DuaneB:
Just discovered that youtube is a much better way of discovering new/old music than itunes and its 'genius'.

Just listening to some Emerson, Lake and Palmer, (Tarkus) its not where I expected to end up but enjoying it anyway.

That's often true, though YouTube's 'related' picks sometimes leave me scratching my head. My favorite way to find interesting stuff is to listen to Radio Paradise, followed by KTCL. Most people would call my taste in music 'eclectic'. Right now I'm listening to the local Jazz station. Speaking of Jazz, Herbie Hancock's rendition of 'When Love Comes to Town' is very good.

Hi,
Just had a look at the 'beefinator2' if thats what you call it. With Arduino projects the enclosure is what really makes a standout project and the beefinator2 nails it. Nice work.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

thanks. I plan on making an even better enclosure for a new version of the synth when it's done.

And it's just "beefinator", the 2 is just because it's my second account, because I ran out of minutes on my first one.

been listening to paul kalkbrenners "berlin calling" most of the last couple of days

glad you like my theremin, jed :slight_smile: ... sort of wish I would have played with it more before disassembling it for other projects...

Had a quick listen to 'Berlin Calling' its nice enough and all that, but after listening to too much free jazz, its hard to listen to anything that keeps the same theme for more than a minute.

This is the Brotzmann Tentet keeping it together as much as they can - same theme throughout but a lot of mentalism on the horns to keep it interesting -

And this is the real Brotzmann - six months ago I would have said this was $**! but after six months of step by step moving towards listening that is less predictable I ended up at this and love it -

I think that this is the end of the journey though, nothing else I have found captures the 'free' idea or the execution as perfectly as 'machine gun'

Have a listen, you might hate it, but then you might come back in 10 years time and love it.

Duane B

after listening to too much free jazz, its hard to listen to anything that keeps the same theme for more than a minute.

:smiley:

The first track you posted is fun (edit: I am now actually giving it a second listen I really like it.)- the second one is just too far out for me. I can appreciate it on an intellectual level, but not in any way which did anything positive to my mood.

Have you ever listened to the Lost Highway soundtrack? It has a fun mix of genres - starts out with some David Bowie, and then some industrial NIN stuff before throwing alternately free jazz and very straight jazz at you. With intermezzos by Rammstein and Marilyn Manson. Its actually one of my favorite music compilations.

On that note. Has anyone here ever heard of Humppa Metal?

listening to this:

made me think of this thread. (and yes, DuaneB - it does slightly escalate. Not full blown Brotzmann style, but still fun.)

a friend of mine recently uploaded a video to one of his songs:

personally - I think its pretty awesome

anyway. currently listening to sciguys track, which isnt half bad :slight_smile: ... love the fact, that its coming from an arduino

lets keep this thread alive.

edit: sabotage is quite the trip. just finished listening to it and it is intense and enjoyable. love the industrial noisiness of it.

The Audio post lives !

Great.

I added a few Audio posts to the RC Arduino blog recently - heres one with a few peoples variations on the Auduino synth -

And here is my current obsession, the Illutron B - I was messing around with polyphonic tones yesterday with long sustain, its very good, will add a new clip soon -

Going to have a listen to your clips now.

Duane B.

[edit: sabotage is quite the trip. just finished listening to it and it is intense and enjoyable. love the industrial noisiness of it.](http://edit: sabotage is quite the trip. just finished listening to it and it is intense and enjoyable. love the industrial noisiness of it.)

Which one was that ?

I spent the day listening to Pharoah Sanders, probably an acquired taste but that guy makes more music in 15 seconds than most people make in a life time - his really genius is that he can also make less music too.

Theres an Alice Coltrane track thats about 11 minutes long. 10 minutes in Pharoah Sanders unpacks his horn, plays it for 15 seconds and leaves, the whole track makes sense right there and then, thats class and not many have it to that degree or even close.

Will post the track if I remember which it is, but most pharoah sanders output from 1967 to about 1972 is worth a listen.

Duane B

please post a link to some pharao sanders stuff you find especially worth checking out.

sabotage is the track by sciguy

sciguy:
One of my best songs, IMO:
SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
The arduino sampled through various effects makes every synth sound in the song.

its really rough and at the same time very straight, which I really like... just giving it another listen

Hi,

We have all year to get to Pharoah Sanders, in the meantime, heres a clip of Red Snapper -

Terrible recording but very intense live, used to see them whenever they came to London.

I set out on a mission to find new music last year when I bought the latest album by these guys and it left me cold, all the prior albums had at least two or three stunning tracks.

Duane B

Anyone else heard First Aid Kit?

That was a nice break from getting my ears ripped off by my usual listening.

Duane B

DuaneB:
That was a nice break from getting my ears ripped off by my usual listening.

Glad you liked it. I have both their CDs on the way from the library, and I think it'll be a while before I'm not listening regularly.

And, when they're ready for more ripping, check out Texas Hippie Coalition. ]:slight_smile: