Not able to download the Sketch file.

hello,
i am a newbie to this forum.
I bought a new Aduino Pro Mini AtMega 328 5V/16Mhz and also a FT232 RL and connected to my Laptop running Windwos 7.
It automatically loaded the drver and recongnises the USB serial converter.
I have connected the TX of Ft232 to Rx of Pro mini.
when i tiry to load the sketch file it gives the following message. I know this is a very common problem and i have tried some tricks described in this forum such as give rest soon after compilation etc. but does not work. Both the FTrs232 and Promini are brand new.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Request help from the Experienced people of this forum.
Thanking you in advance

ashta

It mean's the AVRDUDE can't recognize the ATmega328 on your Board, are you sure the driver's had been installed succinctly?

or, At least the ATmega Signature for the 328 is not matching with the Signature of MCU on your Board.

ashta:

I THINK you also have to connect the reverse path: Tx on Mini to Rx of FT232 so that some 2-way handshaking can take place..

Let us know what happens!

thanks friends.
did some motre research on this.

1. TX on Arduino is an o/p
  2. Rx on Arduino is an Input.
  3. Tx on the Ft232 is an Input. (Atleast the one that i have)
    4.Rx on the Ft232 is an O/P ( Atleast on the one that i have)

The above have been confirmed thru schematics as well as physical multimeter checking and also thru Oscilloscope.
Hence Arduino TX will have to go to Ft232 TX
and
Arduino RX will have to go to Ft232 RX.
I had initialy connected the other way.

But inspite of doing it as above, it was still not down loading.

Next step: Disconnected the TX and RX from Arduio, and looped it. and under Arduino 0022- Tools - serial monitor. typed some letters and saw that these are echoed... confirming that the Ft232 is working fine.

Then, checked the TX pin of the Arduino (Isolted from Ft232) and found that the level is low in idle condition. Since TXO is an out put and active low, in idle condition this has to be High In active. Tried to Pull up this line and it was getting pulled up. So it looks like that there is a problem in this pin.

This is my observation as of now and looks like the Arduino 328 chip has gone bad.
Pl comment on the above obnservation

ashta

hello,

Back ground: My Aduino Pro Mini and the FT232 after connectin to the Note book(Windows7), is not able to down load the Sketch file.

Experts here pl comment on my observation, below. In summary, what i want to know is the following.
1, On the Arduino board, when connected to FT232 board and connetced to the PC, and in idle mode, what will be the status of the TXO pin on the Aduino?. Will it be High or low?
According to me it should be high, since the TXO is an active low out put? also when i rest, will this TXO pin pulse?

Can some body verify this and let me know. After hearing from u only i can decide my action plan wheter to replace the chip or not.

pl help

ashta

ashta:
thanks friends.
did some motre research on this.

1. TX on Arduino is an o/p
  2. Rx on Arduino is an Input.
  3. Tx on the Ft232 is an Input. (Atleast the one that i have)
    4.Rx on the Ft232 is an O/P ( Atleast on the one that i have)

The above have been confirmed thru schematics as well as physical multimeter checking and also thru Oscilloscope.
Hence Arduino TX will have to go to Ft232 TX
and
Arduino RX will have to go to Ft232 RX.
I had initialy connected the other way.

But inspite of doing it as above, it was still not down loading.

Next step: Disconnected the TX and RX from Arduio, and looped it. and under Arduino 0022- Tools - serial monitor. typed some letters and saw that these are echoed... confirming that the Ft232 is working fine.

Then, checked the TX pin of the Arduino (Isolted from Ft232) and found that the level is low in idle condition. Since TXO is an out put and active low, in idle condition this has to be High In active. Tried to Pull up this line and it was getting pulled up. So it looks like that there is a problem in this pin.

This is my observation as of now and looks like the Arduino 328 chip has gone bad.
Pl comment on the above obnservation

ashta

[quote author=Terry King link=topic=51066.msg364545#msg364545 date=1296846279]

ashta:

I THINK you also have to connect the reverse path: Tx on Mini to Rx of FT232 so that some 2-way handshaking can take place..

Let us know what happens!

[/quote]

What board is the FT232 on? Did you connect DTR or RTS from the FT232 through a 0.1 uF capacitor to reset on the Pro Mini? Otherwise, you'll need to manually reset the Pro Mini right before (or right after) hitting the upload button in the Arduino software.

no i have not connected tyhe DTR or CTS. but i tried resetting just before down load and still it does not work. Can u tell me the status of TXO pin in idle condition of the ProMini. Is it High or lo?
On mine it is LO.

mellis:
What board is the FT232 on? Did you connect DTR or RTS from the FT232 through a 0.1 uF capacitor to reset on the Pro Mini? Otherwise, you'll need to manually reset the Pro Mini right before (or right after) hitting the upload button in the Arduino software.

but i tried resetting just before down load and still it does not work.

You're aware that this is timing critical and is difficult to get right if you're not experienced ?