New - IRTEMP: IR Temperature Sensor Module

Coming next week we have a new infrared temperature sensor that works very nicely with Arduino. Check it out here:

Plus we have a getting-started guide that answers many questions:

cheers
john

If I wanted to use this as a human detection sensor, what would be the maximum range that I could expect to detect a human?

inspiring, could be a nice scanning device

• make bundle smaller (mechanically)
  • put it on a pan tilt system and scan pixel for pixel ..

TeslaIaint:
If I wanted to use this as a human detection sensor, what would be the maximum range that I could expect to detect a human?

From the photo posted on their website it seems to be 10 cm.

Flx, I see the picture you are referring to, but I'm not sure that it depicts the max range. It may be depicting the FOV at that distance. Hopefully it's more than 10cm, but you're probably right.

robtillaart,
This might be something along the lines of what you were referring to:
http://www.cheap-thermocam.tk/

This might be something along the lines of what you were referring to:
http://www.cheap-thermocam.tk/

definitely!

GREAT app!

TeslaIaint:

The further away the object/human the greater the field of view is. So as shown in the picture on the product page, the field of view is 10cm wide when the sensor is 10cm away from the object. This is then extrapolated the further away the object is. The key to detecting people would be to have enough of a temperature difference between the person and the ambient temperature. Overall, however, the object/human to detect shouldn't be too far away, less than 50cm.

Hi,

From the example sketch "readTemperature", there are two types of temperatures reported: IR and Ambient; What's the difference between the two?

Thanks.

-tatskie-

tatskie:
Hi,

From the example sketch "readTemperature", there are two types of temperatures reported: IR and Ambient; What's the difference between the two?

Thanks.

-tatskie-

IR temperature is the temperature being measured by the device - that is, what you're pointing it towards. Ambient is the ambient temperature (e.g. room temperature).

thanks for the clarification John :slight_smile:

Which board is to be used with this sensor.
I wish to light a LED at a specific temp ?
thank you

mjpcarbon:
Which board is to be used with this sensor.
I wish to light a LED at a specific temp ?
thank you

Uno, Mega, Duemilanove, etc is fine - more information here:

Using the provided library is it possible to connect multiple of these IR sensors and read all of them?
In the case of the UNO board would it be limited to 2 since there are only 2 interrupt pins?