Go Down

Topic: ESP8266 NodeMCU WiFi issues (Read 899 times) previous topic - next topic

nate123456

I suppose you're asking me to switch back to 2.4 board release since you noticed that I have 2.4 rc2?

I did that, and readded the crystal build flag to the boards.txt, and the issue still occurs using the same sketch as I included in my last post.

Juraj

did you try the WiFiScan example?

nate123456

Setting up an AP seems to work, as I can see the AP as an available network on my phone.

WiFiScan detected one network in my area twice out of about 40 tries, though it was not my network.

Juraj

you posts about settings were hard to follow.
Common is 80 MHz CPU, 40 MHz flash and 26 or 40 MHz crystal.

nate123456

I have 80 MHz CPU currently set, 40 MHz crystal as build flag, and flash frequency at 40 as well.

Juraj

so AP wasn't working before and now it works? how far are you from the WiFi router of you network? isn't your module a PRO version with external antenna connector and without on-board antenna?

nate123456

Yes, that's right AP now works after setting the crystal frequency correctly.

My router is about a foot away from the board.

I'm using this board: https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Internet-Development-Wireless-Micropython/dp/B010O1G1ES/

Juraj

try other rooter or a hotspot function on a smartphone

nate123456

Jan 13, 2018, 12:32 pm Last Edit: Jan 13, 2018, 02:18 pm by nate123456
I don't have another router to try at the moment, but I enabled the hotspot feature on my phone and found the network once out of about 20 or so scans. The first scan found it, then none of the rest did.

Edit-a direct connection attempt via SSID and password to the hotspot did not work.

Edit 2- after giving it about 5 minutes, it finally printed out an IP address indicating that it successfully connected. It seems to have really spotty connectivity.

What do you think might be causing my hotspot but not my router to be visible to my board? Also, why does it only ocassionally detect the hotspot?

nate123456

Well, I ordered another ESP 12E board https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WRD25D/ from a different manufacturer a few days ago in case I was actually having a hardware issue. This particular board's crystal runs at 26 MHz, so I changed the boards.txt to reflect this from 40 MHz as the new board uses the same firmware as the other board.

This board works great, and the WiFi connects immediately to my router, and sees the networks on the WiFi scan sketch.

Any ideas as to why my other board still has the problem? Maybe it's just a bad WiFi chip? Or perhaps something else involving the firmware is having an effect?

Go Up