UNO vs Duemilanove

Well I guess I give up on my UNO, maybe I fried something. It looks like I need to pick up a new one. I notice lots of people still use the Duemilanove... Are there any pro's to using it over the UNO? What are the differences?

Alternatively if anyone would like to take a look at the problem I'm having that would be great too, but everyone has seem to given up on me!

Thanks

The Duemilanove and UNO are nearly the same except for one thing: the USB to Serial chip. On the Duemilanove, you have the FTDI chip. This chip is closed source and cannot be reprogrammed. On the UNO, though, you have an ATmega8u2. It's like another microcontroller. The upside of this is that you can trick your computer into having the arduino NOT show up as the arduino... it can be a mouse, or a joystick, or a usb microphone, or any other USB device.

Good Luck!

One the other hand the Uno board has had firmware problems with both the 8u2 serial converter chip and the bootloader. There is still an issure of if when you buy a Uno today if it comes with the latest bug fixes for both those firmwares. I think even the Uno bootloader hex file in the IDE distrubution for version 22 is not current with the latest fix(S).

Lefty

On the same hand, if you buy a Uno with an smd chip and you fry it you get to buy a new board (if you don't solder). Also the Uno uses more power (at least on mine) then the Duemilanove. Might be important if your using batteries. The Uno atmega8u2 chip can be reprogrammed to do other things.

Well Ive been having trouble with bootloaders. And I'm not too interested in using my arduino to interact with my computer. So I think I'll go with the duemilanove.

Thanks guys

Or just go standalone. Don't need to assemble much - get an FTDI basic from gravitech.us to program with.
All parts can be had inexpensively from dipmicro.com.

28 pin socket
two 22 pf caps
16 MHz crystal
10K resistor
three 0.1uF (100nF) caps for the power pins.

Run off batteries, or add an 7805 regulator and 2 10uF caps for power supply filtering.

connectorize as needed ...

Guess I should fix this to show the ground pins actually connected to ground too ...

Or get the above as a little board that sits on top of the chip, plug it into your breadboard, ardweeny from solarbotics.com

Given the choice (I own both), I'd go for the Duemilanove every time. Which probably isn't what Massimo & crew want to hear. I also own a BBB and a RBBB from Modern Device
http://shop.moderndevice.com/ Horses for courses, a fully integrated USB and Arduino pin spacing is useful sometimes which pushes it to Uno/Duemilanove.

I don't find myself using shields, rather I build up my own circuits, haven't actually used my duemilanove in quite a while, its sitting in a corner screwed to a clipboard with 830 point breadboards above it. I have a 2nd one where I added pins to the X3 header and use it to program bootloaders onto blank atmega328s. Am not even prototyping anymore, just building up with wirewrap and tweaking a little if I need small change.