Tutorial for hacking a CP2102 USB from ebay and uploading a sketch to an Atmega

xl97:
you dont have to use the 6-pin header do you?

Nope. You can wire it up any way you choose. I do use 6pin headers simply to keep with the standard FTDI pinout.

Note the included (very short) cable actually only has 5pins (you can see that in the picture that Lefty posted).

I mean treat this like any other FTDI cable..yes?

Sure, just get a couple of the 6pin female crimp housings (such as http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1905), remove the single pin plastic housing on each pin, and insert the pins in the correct order. Or use whatever size header you want, as long as it matches your board.

I'd suggest testing the pinout first just in case :slight_smile:

as long as I run 5v+, GND, RX, TX to my chip.. Im good.. I can then use/tap the DTR pad from the bottom of the board to use on the DTR of the circuit Im uploading my sketch to....right?

You don't really need to pass 5v, but you've got the idea. I was going to post a picture of a modified board but there isn't much to show - simply a cut trace and a jumper wire. Takes 2 minutes and seems to work great.

also is there a driver for it?

Yup. I think there is a link earlier in this thread. If not, you can find the driver here An Arduino Compatible Using CP2102 – Kerry D. Wong

Hope this helps,

Brad.