No notification of post replies, etc..

Did you use the [url] tags? If so, it appears you can't at the moment (mustn't be fixed yet):

Rob and myself got in before the forum upgrade (well, I did anyway).

Yeah mine's been there forever, the upgrade stuffed this up, AFAIK old sigs are OK but you can't add a link to new ones. Nick Gammon had this problem and has reported it, last I looked he still doesn't have a working link.

Rob

I suspect this one won't be fixed while I am alive.

ghlawrence2000:
Maybe you should qualify that statement? The forum works fine using Internet Explorer 11 under Windows 7 x64 (fine being relative :- absent email notifications, karma, slow website etc just same as chrome! :wink: )

Regards,

Graham

There is an issue where you can't connect after you have logged in, if you have it remember your login credentials.

dptdpt:
There is an issue where you can't connect after you have logged in, if you have it remember your login credentials.

Well blow me down, you are right!!

I am signed in on Chrome, and just opened arcuino.cc on IE 11, the main website opens with me signed in, and I can view my profile, but I click on Forum, and just blank screen.

But on a positive note, email notifications appear to be working fine, except the embedded html codes in the message. So things may be heading in the right direction finally....

Regards,

Graham

In case anyone is wondering, I have been discussing the forum with Mastrolinux, and he assures me that a budget has been approved, and further work will commence on the forum immediately. (Actually "next Wednesday" were his words, I'm not sure if that is today or in a week).

Using a free forum needs a budget? If they used a non-beta version 95% of the bugs we keep getting wouldn't exist. They claimed the old forum was too hard to maintain, so they switch to a early beta of SMF 2.0 against the recommendation of the SMF authors?! Words fail me.

I was just surprised that the budget for customer support was so hard to obtain.

Wow, I just got notified about these new posts, first notification in weeks which I find hard to believe as I must be subscribed to 1000s of threads.

Anyway now I'm here I may as well have a poke around, it's been a while :slight_smile:

Rob

So it is promising that the notifications finally appear to be flowing, but all is not well!

I received a notification to a thread I am subscribed to on Feb 3 2015 relating to a post dated the 20th December 2014, as if this in itself is not bad enough, the message quote in the notification is not even relevant.

To: ghlawrence2000.......co.uk
Sent: Tuesday, 3 February 2015, 9:42
Subject: Topic reply: Re: Arduino due programming port not working

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by Raji2014.

View the reply at: Arduino due programming port not working - Arduino Due - Arduino Forum

Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link: Arduino Due - Arduino Forum

The text of the reply is shown below:
where to download math.h library... can anyone give me the link pls..

More replies may be posted, but you won't receive any more notifications until you read the topic.

Regards,
The Arduino Forum Team.

Here is the message that SHOULD have been quoted in the notification...

Raji2014:
i have connected my arduino due board in programming port, it is showing in device manager but it is not showing the board name in arduino software .... can anyone pls help me out....

Who knows what will happen next?? :roll_eyes:

Regards,

Graham

Notifications are working poorly. For example, the quoted text I get is just HTML garbage.

A lot of stuff is working poorly.

I received three notifications overnight; one pm and two thread notifications for threads that I am subscribed too. There was no

thanks Nick I could not have expressed it better 8)

Indeed. Is there any sort of official story on what the difficulty is, and what the plan to fix things might be? How long has it been now? I find it absolutely incredible that it's been allowed to continue for such a protracted period. Most days I don't even bother to go to the forum site, and when I do, I just have a cursory look to see if things might be improving yet, and when it appears that they're not, I leave. I have very little desire to participate in discussions given the effort required to track threads, etc. I'm just lazy I guess.

Yes based on the quality of the BB software, you wouldn't think that this was a technology based forum

Makes you wonder, I would be very surprised if there is not a forum user that knows more about this stuff than the jokers allegedly being paid to fix it. :wink:

I would like to say another heartfelt 'THANKYOU' to all the moderators that do such a stunning job with the help and support they provide ESPECIALLY now they have all this other crap to deal with. I can only guess how much harder this has made their jobs, and yet still here and still helping us. No matter what us lowly users may think, I guess the mods have had some strongly worded complaints behind the scenes we have not been privy to..... :grin: :roll_eyes:

Best wishes to all Moderators.

Graham

Me too, with (almost) no notifications and no practical "new post" function I just look at the "Website and forum" board every week or so to see if things have been fixed, whereas I used to check for unread posts on about 10 boards several times a day.

It just ain't worth it to me to check my favourite boards manually, after all I'm not the one that needs help, it just takes up my time to help others. And even if I did trawl through 10 boards looking for threads I can contribute to, what's the point in posting as I won't be notified when there's a response. (I did get notified of this thread I admit, but this seems to be the only one.)

On the bright side I'm getting a lot of stuff done elsewhere that I didn't before :slight_smile:

Rob

Hi Rob!

Funny you should be the first to post after my last comment. I thought of you a little while ago this evening, I did a GOOGLE, rob grey mega pin out, since your diagrams are AWESOME ;D I was a tad bemused to find http://www.zembedded.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ardunio_mega.png. Which looks awfully like a copy along the lines of your diagram....

Regards,

Graham

That drawing is by one of our members (Pighxx ?), he basically picked up the ball after I put it down and ran with it, he produced an amazing number of pinout and how-to diagrams, even a small book for beginners I think.

I was asked by Atmel to produce similar drawings, I said I would then never heard back from them, no matter, I have a shipping container house to build anyway :slight_smile:

Rob

Graynomad:
I have a shipping container house to build anyway :slight_smile:

That sounds very much like fun! I hope you don't completely lose interest here.

Glad things are ok with you :grin:

Graham

I got a reply on 28th January from Mastrolinux (Forum Administrator):

Everything confirmed. I have a small budget to work on some tasks starting on Wed.

I'm a little troubled by the word "small" there. Also I haven't seen any progress so far.