Go Down

Topic: Windows/Linux/Mac Eclipse plugin to compile and upload arduino sketches (Read 379043 times) previous topic - next topic

Maitland

Jantje: Thanks very much for this excellent plugin. I only wanted Arduino so I could configure Marlin 3D printer firmware, and as one used to Eclipse with all it's faults, I found the Arduino IDE a complete pain. Installed (only one non- issue) modified, compiled, uploaded, all without tears.

The little non- issue? When importing code, it requires the folder to exist already in the workspace. Would it be too hard to create it automatically, as C/C++ makefile import does?

Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

EVP

Hi,

I've been using Sloeber and run into a problem.

I have a Due board and a SD card board. There is no problem - as far as i  know- with the wiring or the card.

I have successfully uploaded the SD card examples in the Arduino IDE to the due and confirmed they all work. They write a file to the card of exactly what is expected.

I had successfully used Sloeber on other projects and haven't had a problem with it. but I can get any of the SD card examples compiled in Sloeber to work.

The SD.init example does work and gives the card info, but SD.begin always fails.

I can compile the same sketch in the Arduino IDE and upload it and it works fine.

Now, I am only using 3.1 , I will up grade if I have to but I don't have all that much time, so if its something else that would be handy.

Best Regards

EVP

I've just upgraded to 4.2 and it still doesn't work. The code is the Arduino IDE example I have copied to a Sloeber project.

I must be doing something wrong.

Jantje

I must be doing something wrong.
I agree. And with the info provided there is no way to find out what.
First thing to do: check all the files used during compilation

EVP

I've got 4.2 setup correctly now and have successfully uploaded the SD card examples.

Thanks for the reply, confirming I was wrong was probably helpful.

Sloeber is brilliant I love it.

Thank you.

Jantje

Thanks for the reply, confirming I was wrong was probably helpful.
It is amazing how many times people confirming I probably was doing something wrong helped me out.
It's not a nice message to give bt it is helpfull from time to time :-)

Sloeber is brilliant I love it.
I know :-) thanks.

gfvalvo

Hi Jantje, et al:

I recently posted what I though was an issue on the Sloeber GitHub. Wim Jongman helped me out. Turned out, the "problem" was my fault.

I wanted to say thanks and that I will become a Sloeber supporter via Patreon.

I do have a request / suggestion for your consideration. Should it become financially feasible, it would be great if you established a stand-alone Sloeber Users Forum. It could be divided into categories like Installation, Usage Tips, Problem Help, etc. That way, users could help each other much more efficiently than via this single thread on the Arduino forum. Also, many "problems" are simply solved (like mine). They don't rise to the level of requiring an open Issue on GitHub, but could be handled via the forum.

Anyway, thanks again. Hope you consider this suggestion.

Jantje

I do have a request / suggestion for your consideration. Should it become financially feasible, it would be great if you established a stand-alone Sloeber Users Forum. It could be divided into categories like Installation, Usage Tips, Problem Help, etc. That way, users could help each other much more efficiently than via this single thread on the Arduino forum. Also, many "problems" are simply solved (like mine). They don't rise to the level of requiring an open Issue on GitHub, but could be handled via the forum.

Anyway, thanks again. Hope you consider this suggestion.

After going over a zillion things that I wanted to respond and rejected this is the only good response I can come up with:
Thanks for the nice words and suggestion.
I'm looking forward to your support.
Best regards
Jantje

gfvalvo

After going over a zillion things that I wanted to respond and rejected this is the only good response I can come up with:
Thanks for the nice words and suggestion.
I'm looking forward to your support.
Best regards
Jantje
No problem. Although, your response was a little enigmatic. I'm not sure if you liked my idea or not.   :smiley-eek:

Jantje

No problem. Although, your response was a little enigmatic. I'm not sure if you liked my idea or not.   :smiley-eek:
Some thoughts
I see many pro's and many con's in a forum.
I fully agree a single thread here is not the forum way to go.
I understand some people are reluctant to create issues.
Sloeber income is 250$ a month (pre-tax).
Sloeber is my only income right now.
I love Sloeber but I'm getting to the point I can't afford it any more.

Conclusion
I'm not looking to spend more money then I already do for Sloeber.
I'm not looking to spend more time then I already do for Sloeber.

gfvalvo

Maybe I've forgotten how to use egit with Sloeber, maybe something has changed, but here's the problem I'm seeing:

1. I create a very simple Arduino project (just the default .cpp and .h files).

2. This project compiles just fine in Sloeber.

3. Then, I right click on the project in Project Explorer and select Team --> Share Project

4. I create the repository in my git folder and click finish.

5. Then I commit the new project.

6. Now the project won't compile anymore. It's choking in the make file around here:

Code: [Select]
xxx.elf: $(LINK_OBJ) $(AR)
 @echo 'Starting combiner'
 "C:\sloeber\/arduinoPlugin/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.9.2-atmel3.5.4-arduino2/bin/avr-gcc" -Wall -Wextra -Os -g -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -o "C:/Slober_Workspace/xxx/Release/xxx.elf"   $(LINK_OBJ)   C:/git/xxx/xxx/Release/arduino.ar  "-LC:/Slober_Workspace/xxx/Release" -lm
 @echo 'Finished building: $@'
 @echo ' '

It's whining that it can't find an .elf file:

Thanks if advance for your assistance.

Jantje

@gfvalvo
Thanks for being a patron :-)
The problem you experiance is related to the fact git moves files around.
Sloeber doesn't detect the sharing via egit and as sutch thinks the files are still in the old location.
The solution (the first thing to do when something doesn't work with sloeber) open the roject properties->arduino->apply

gfvalvo

hichhiker

This is possibly an eclipse or windows or maybe even a GCC problem rather than Sloeber, but I run into a very odd issue with Sloeber and Windows. I've been using Sloeber on OSX and was trying to show someone how cool Sloeber is, I had them load it up on a Windows computer and open a complex project (lots of cpp files and lots of nested relative includes) This project works great on OSX and compiles using command line Arduino IDE on Linux - however it will not build on Windows. The errors are all in not being able to find included header files.

Digging into it, it appears that the issue stems from #include paths never being normalized, so that a series of paths like #include "../../SomePath/SomeFile.h" where SomeFile.h may have some similar relative includes. During compilation they add up to a very long path. In addition, Sloeber seems to build from target directory by providing a relative path to the cpp file, which is then added to the full path. In the end, the relative include seems to be too much under windows when it gets to be somewhere between 176-184 characters long (not sure exact limit, working on narrowing it down)

While I realize this may need to be at least in part addressed by reducing relative includes and other tricks, I was wondering if there is a more Sloeber/Eclipse specific way to work around this windows limitation? Any way to tell g++ to normalize include paths? Or at least have build cd to the directory being built and provide relative path to the output instead of the other way around?

Thanks

Go Up