[VP 1] Device is not responding correctly.

hello arduinos: I am struggling with my new board. it worked once but now I can't get it work anymore. I can't upload no sketch and following message occurs:

Binary sketch size: 5472 bytes (of a 7168 byte maximum)

I connected a led to pin 13 for testing. I pressed the reset button. the led started flickering and turns off and after a few seconds on.
I took the blinking led tutorial code for testing and tried to upload it but it doesn't work. I changed the baud rate to 19200 in the device manager, in the arduino ide and in the preference file but it still doesn't work.

any suggestions? thank you very much in advance:

koji

the same problem as me! i burned some atmega8 with bootloader. upload with arduino004 works extactly one time. after successful upload the programmer everytime:

any suggestions?

actually i found the problem and i guess its a performance issue. o.k. i´m running P4 2,4ghz 1GB ram on winXP but i guess my java-app is quite slow, anyway. my solution was to hold the reset button. then click on "export to board" and waiting 2-3sec. till i release the reset button.

now, everything works fine?! has anyone a possible explanation for this bug?!

Basically, you're right: this happens when it takes too long for the upload to begin. One problem is that the upload button recompiles your sketch each time you press it, which takes a while, so the bootloader times out. I'll try to clarify this in the FAQ.

I just posted this in another thread, but to ritzdank - if you're using a usb to serial converter, try unplugging it and plugging it back in before EVERY upload. I had the exact same problem, ONE time uploads.

-ben

Yeah thanks. the method with holding the reset button works finally.