Go Down

Topic: Capture-Read-Receive-Analyze a WS2811/12 pixel signal (Read 216 times) previous topic - next topic

DrWizard

Can anyone point me to a sketch or library which will read-capture and analyze a datastream in WS2811 or 2812 format?  Basically the opposite of FastLED or AdaFruit NeoPixel libraries?  I've been Googling and searching forums for an hour now and can only find stuff about outputting the signal.

Grumpy_Mike

We had a thread in here about a month or two ago that was basically asking the same thing. The consensus was you could not do it with a Uno you needed a faster Arduino and no one had done it yet.

Why do you want to do it?

DrWizard

It doesn't necessarily have to be Arduino.  I have ESP8266's, ESP32's, STM32's TM4C1294's, and RTL8710's in my collection.

I am trying to troubleshoot the pixel-installation-from-hell and trying to build a portable tester-analyzer for locations I can't easily bring the laptop (ie: steep roof).  My logic analyzer captures the signal, but won't decode it, I have to do that 'by hand' which is a pain, and again, I can't easily carry the laptop to the problem.

I don't have time to write something from scratch, and not sure my coding skills are quite to that level anyway.  I need to resolve this pixel problem ASAP.

Grumpy_Mike

I don't have time to write something from scratch, and not sure my coding skills are quite to that level anyway.  I need to resolve this pixel problem ASAP.
Sorry I think you are on your own on this one.

mcnobby

You could probably do this with a Nano/Uno, but it would all need to be written in assembler and totally block any other functions at the time of reading.

As for analysing the data at the same time, I dont think there would be enough time to do anything like that as we are talking 1250ns per bit (at 800KHz), which is only 20 clock cycles (at 16MHz)

But you could probably output the byte received from the UART at 1MBPS) which would take no processor overhead apart from loading the byte into the register) what you do with it then will be up to you

I have written many versions of WS2812/SK6812 bitbashers for ATTiny, ATMega etc and a Scope (with storage) is an absolute minimum requirement for getting it right !

Bob
http://www.youtube.com/user/Recovered
http://www.smartshow.lighting

Go Up